Subject: Meeting Reminder; EDXL-RIM & SOA-RA-2

(Note: This is the second of three messages I am sending out today
relating to our meeting tomorrow. This one expands on how EDXL-RIM
and the SOA Reference Architecture relate to each other at
approximately the same "Level of Abstraction.")

Hi Folks,

My first message on this topic outlined how EDXL-RIM coming from a
Bottom-Up approach, and SOA-RA coming from a Top-Down approach arrive
at approximately the same 'Intermediate Level of Abstraction.'

So why is this important? Because SOA-RA lays out a set of
relationships between service consumers and service providers and
what it means to participate in a Service Oriented Architecture. This
is actually very handy since it is likely to form the basis for the
information-infrastructure of the future.

The SOA-RA is a work in progress, having a useful head start on our
EDXL-RIM efforts, with the exception that we have a wealth of
concrete lessons learned from earlier EDXL specifications which we
can apply what SOA-RA is developing to facilitate aggregation and
composition of services across organizational and jurisdictional
boundaries.

Okay, so why is SOA important for EDXL-RIM? Because after the hype
dies down, SOA is the model which is overwhelmingly likely to be
adopted in depth by the federal government of the US, as it is
already being adopted in large parts of the world, whether
consciously or not. That last bit is the most important part.

(Note that the major IT vendors have adopted SOA as a mantra as well,
regardless of how well or poorly their offerings operate or, most
importantly, inter-operate.)

However, SOA is nothing new. It is just a reformulation of what we've
been doing since we decided to divide the labors of life and set up
shop in cities instead of roaming around as hunter-gatherers (at
least most of of us did this, not all and it's wise to recognize that
this is by no means universal).

Regardless, like so much else in our considerations, such as the
place of ontologies in our formulations, we use SOA anyway, so we
might as well be more aware of it and do it more efficiently and,
most importantly, automatically wherever possible.

This assumes that our goal is to prepare for and respond to
emergencies as quickly and efficiently as we can, and avoid the
practice of throwing away any and all previous policies the moment an
"emergency" happens.

Of course, we should pay attention to the entire lifecycle of
emergencies from planning to demobilization and starting the planning
process anew on the basis of whatever we learn as we strive to
improve our abilities to prepare, respond and adapt to or mitigate
the effects of natural and man-made emergencies.

Because SOA-RA and EDXL-RIM occupy the intermediate Level of
Abstraction, the infrastructure that SOA-RA describes can provide
useful information to EDXL-RIM.

This information can help us develop EDXL-RIM's specific constructs
in ways that may be easier to adopt. This should help us with
constructs such as Keyword-ValueListURNs, and adaptations of CIQ and
GML in geo-oasis.

These constructs can be efficiently  matched up with the structural
levels of SOA such as providing a common formulation for Service
Descriptions (and WSDLs or RESTful Web Services) in SOA
Registry-Repositories, using OASIS ebXML Registry-Repository
Specifications, for instance.

The purpose is to fit our standards together in well-ordered and
efficient information architecture.

Cheers,

Rex Brooks
President, CEO