Subject: For those who want to look ahead

Hi Everyone,

I've been debating with myself when it would be best to bring up the
topic of Open LInked Data, since, down the road, this is probably going
to be the way that both search and research will be done. Note: it
doesn't relate to any of our immediate work, but is something I had
planned to introduce after the ValueListURN work is done. However, as
with Cloud Computing which burst onto the IT scene with big hype last
year and will continue this year, Linked Data will probably start
getting hyped before we get to the point that we want to consider its
place in our work.

So, rather than wait, I decided to invite you all to read ahead, so to
speak, so that this isn't new stuff for us when we get there. So here
are a couple of starting points:

Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linked_Data

W3C:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData

It is still early days for this, but the combination of Cloud Computing
and Linked Data is inevitable, and I suspect the same collection of
agile bright minds that brought us AJAX while we waiting for something
else to provide dynamic, and asynchronous, updating of content of web
pages based on user input, these two developments will almost certainly
be connected by something like AJAX for dynamically updating data within
content, and this is something that will affect the public during
emergencies much the same way that ad hoc AJAX powered web pages and RSS
feeds and Twitter are used now. Unfortunately, even though we can get
information faster through these kinds of social networking
applications, there is no non-repudiation or security, and the challenge
will be to use similar systems in official systems, especially with
interoperability standards that provide reliable and secure service
allowing trust in the data thus linked.

Note that Linked Data uses RDF, which we have already introduced into
our discussions.

If this is old stuff for anyone, good for you! Please clue us in with
any topics of interest that stick their heads up over the horizon.

Cheers,

Rex Brooks
President, CEO
Starbourne Communications Design