Subject: KML Address

I had an action item to look up how KML does addresses.  Looks like they use free text for xAL (what we are using).  I also thought the RFC for phone numbers was nice to share as well.

<address>

A string value representing an unstructured address written as a standard street, city, state address, and/or as a postal code. You can use the <address> tag to specify the location of a point instead of using latitude and longitude coordinates. (However, if a <Point> is provided, it takes precedence over the <address>.) To find out which locales are supported for this tag in Google Earth, go to the Google Maps Help.

<xal:AddressDetails>

A structured address, formatted as xAL, or eXtensible Address Language, an international standard for address formatting. <xal:AddressDetails> is used by KML for geocoding in Google Maps only. For details, see the Google Maps API documentation. Currently, Google Earth does not use this element; use <address> instead. Be sure to include the namespace for this element in any KML file that uses it:xmlns:xal="urn:oasis:names:tc:ciq:xsdschema:xAL:2.0"

<phoneNumber>

A string value representing a telephone number. This element is used by Google Maps Mobile only. The industry standard for Java-enabled cellular phones is RFC2806.
For more information, see http://www.ietf.org/rfc /rfc2806.txt

Don McGarry

Office: 315-838-2669

Cell: 315-383-1197