Subject: Groups - DRAFT-EDXL-RIM-SC-MtgNotes-09-22-2011.doc uploaded

Submitter's message
Please review these minutes from the Reference Information Model (RIM) subcommittee meeting of September 22, 2011 for approval at our next meeting, subject to any specified changes. Thanks.
-- Jeff Waters
Document Name: DRAFT-EDXL-RIM-SC-MtgNotes-09-22-2011.doc

Description
At the September 22nd, 2011 meeting of the Reference Information Model
(RIM) subcommittee, the members discussed the following topics:

1. TOPIC: Should elements such as ?certainty?, ?severity?, ?urgency?,
?confidence?, ?priority? be elements in common types? (Answer: Probably,
because they are important meta-components of any standard and our
definition of them can help guide standardized-usage in current and future
specifications. The RIM perspective is how to make the suggested common
elements as reusable as possible across the standards. The DE 2.0 draft now
includes certainty, severity and urgency. SitRep includes confidence for
reports. But at this point, they are not in the common types. Issues: What
is the threshold for deciding what goes into common types and what level of
scrutiny is required? Should flexibility be provided for localized
definitions of values (with defaults) or require a fixed set of values? )

2. TOPIC: Should we recommend that we follow the OASIS recommendation for
handling checksums to ensure downloaded files are correct? (Answer: Yes.
Martena Gooch recommended that we consider this important issue. Although
various suggestions have been made, it appears there is an OASIS staff
recommendation for how to handle this. We will follow up with an email in
response to Robin Cover and see if we can get a clarification on the OASIS
process for doing the checksum and how soon it will be implemented. Then we
can inform the EM TC membership and suggest that we utilize the process.
Issue: Can the checksum be used for component parts of a zip as well as the
entire zip?)

3. TOPIC: Should we use a class-based approach to representing EDXL
elements in an ontology-based reference information model? (Answer: Yes,
this provides better support for reasoning. Rex is proceeding to extend
his ValueList Ontology and we will compare to Jeff's version so that we can
come up with a recommended approach to the ontology modeling.)
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Jeff Waters
Group: EM Reference Information Model SC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2011-09-22 11:55:05