Subject: Groups - DRAFT-EDXL-RIM-SC-MtgNotes-05-03-2012.doc uploaded

Submitter's message
Please review these minutes from our May 3rd, 2012 meeting of the Reference Information Model subcommittee for approval at our upcoming meeting, subject to any specified changes. Thanks.
-- Jeff Waters
Document Name: DRAFT-EDXL-RIM-SC-MtgNotes-05-03-2012.doc

Description
At the May 3rd, 2012 meeting of the Reference Information Model
subcommittee, the members discussed the following topics:

1. TOPIC: Emergency Management Concepts Ontology? (Answer: Jeff summarized
and uploaded an initial ontology which organizes EDXL elements under the
concepts they represent, like Priority, Confidence, ID, etc. The idea is
that a standards developer could browse or query to see which concepts have
been implemented in the EDXL family of standards, and where they have been
implemented. The next step would be to add a level to say how they were
implemented and perhaps tie into an existing upper ontology. This work
might be useful as a developer?s reference, and could go hand-in-hand with
Rex?s work on codelists and classes.)

2. TOPIC: Emergency Services Pattern Update (Rex provided an update on his
work to develop an Emergency Services Pattern, using EDXL standards, for
NCOIC. This work will be an important contribution showing the way in which
the standards can be used together to satisfy emergency needs.)

3. TOPIC: Can we derive Jeff?s concept-based ontology from Rex?s classes
ontology? (Answer: Yes, potentially, if we defined properties for the
concepts and used those properties in the classes. This would provide a
nice alignment between both efforts and help to build a comprehensive,
one-model approach.)