Subject: Groups - DRAFT-EDXL-RIM-SC-MtgNotes-09-06-2012.docx uploaded

Submitter's message
Please review these minutes from the September 6th, 2012 meeting of the Reference Information Model subcommittee for approval at our next meeting, subject to any specified changes. Thanks.
-- Jeff Waters
Document Name: DRAFT-EDXL-RIM-SC-MtgNotes-09-06-2012.docx

Description
At the September 6th, 2012 meeting of the Reference Information Model
subcommittee, the members discussed the following topics:

1. TOPIC : What?s the difference between ?Profiles? and ?Layers? ?
(Answer: Conceptually, a Profile is a restricted subset of a standardized
message or data format, whereas a Layer is a set of name/value fields which
effectively extends the information content of a message. The Common Alert
Protocol (CAP) has built-in support for Parameter Name/Value fields. )

2. TOPIC : Is there an OASIS registration mechanism that we can use to
register Layers? (Answer: OASIS has a registration mechanism for companies
that utilize their standards, and perhaps this can be reused for the
purpose of registering layers. We need to explore the potential reuse of
this with OASIS staff. )

3. TOPIC: Should support for ?Layers? be enabled in the EDXL Common Types
to allow other EDXL standards to utilize the concept? (Answer: Yes. The
?Layers? concept is well described in Norm?s document and Doug?s email,
both referenced below, and the suggestion is made that the ?Layers? concept
has applicability beyond CAP. The consensus was that extending Common Types
to support Layers would be useful. Jeff will upload an example
implementation for consideration, including how it could be utilized in a
potential version of the DE 2.0. See the reference to the WD10 zip below.)

4. MOTION to Create Two Notes, one on EDXL Restrictions and one on EDXL
Extensions: ?I move that we create two notes, one for EDXL Profiles
dealing with constraints over standards or other profiles and a second note
about EDXL Extensions that define allowable mechanisms to create Layers
intended for business aspects of using the standards.? (Motion by Werner,
seconded by Doug and Passed.)