Subject: RE: [emergency-rim] The value of "Unknown" for Urgency, Severity, Certainty in CAP and Elsewhere

I totally agree with Art's comments on this in CAP. Without USC being mandatory, it would make it hard for CAP to be truly interoperable. For that reason "unknown" is necessary. I also agree that considering USC values to be a ranked set of values is a poor practice. In our implementations we use the following...

If Urgency is "Immediate" or "Future" then do this

and not

If Urgency is equal or greater than "Future" then do this

Its been difficult to communicate this to some. But we need to rather than change "unknown", or worse remove it and make USC optional.

Its also poor practice to just use "unknown" always in USC to get around the mandatory use of USC and then go create a <parameter> to do a similar thing. Nothing wrong with the <parameter> itself, the problem is in ignoring the reason for mandatory use of USC in the first place. They are mandatory for very good reasons.

Norm

________________________________

From: emergency-rim@lists.oasis-open.org on behalf of Rex Brooks
Sent: Fri 2/8/2013 2:46 PM
To: Art Botterell
Cc: Eliot Christian; Doug Allport; rex.brooks@ncoic.org; emergency-rim@lists.oasis-open.org; Jacob Westfall; Christian, Eliot; Elysa Jones

Thanks Art,

It is good to be reminded about the issues considered and decisions
taken in previously work on the USC issues.

Would it be possible for you to join us on the next RIM call on the 21st
at 12:00 p.m. Eastern?

We are considering putting the the USC elements into the CommonTypes
collection to be used consistently by any new or future versions of
standards.

Cheers,
Rex

Rex Brooks