Subject: Groups - DRAFT-07-11-13-Minutes-RIM-Subcommittee.doc uploaded

Submitter's message
Please review these minutes from the July 11, 2013 meeting of the Reference Information Model Subcommittee for approval at our next meeting, subject to any specified changes. Thanks.
-- Jeff Waters
Document Name: DRAFT-07-11-13-Minutes-RIM-Subcommittee.doc

Description
At the July 11, 2013 meeting of the Reference Information Model
Subcommittee, the members discussed the following topics:

1.TOPIC: Supporting Free Text Fields -- HaVE needed a common type other
than EDXLString to support free text fields, like comments, because
EDXLString is derived from Token and so removes end-of-lines and other
useful formatting. Should we have a common type, e.g. LimitedString, to
handle this or should EDXLString not be so restrictive? Answer ? Further
discussion is needed. Maintaining white space is sometimes desired,
sometimes not. What is best practice and who should decide, those
developing the main base type or later users?

2. TOPIC: Security Guidance -- Do we have a security recommendations
guidance document for XML developers and users? Answer: No, but general
guidance might be useful. Brian will draft an initial version.

3. TOPIC: Constraints Note -- Who would like to draft the Constraints note?
Answer: Norm will do an initial draft, once the Extension note is put into
the proper template by Jeff.

4. TOPIC: Reference Information Model Next Steps ? What should be our next
steps for advancing our Reference Information Model? Answer: More
discussion needed, but consider HL7 RIM work and also potential for using
EDXL Vocabulary elements descriptively and independently as in Linked Open
Vocabularies.