Subject: Follow-up: Re: OASIS Editor's Manual -- Request for Feedback

Hi Kevin,

I'm writing to follow-up on my previous message.

In our work on the EDXL-HAVE-v2.0 specification we are developing a conventional data dictionary and have had discussions about providing links from specific elements in the tabular data dictionary format, attached, to a new kind of appendix populated with linked diagrams from XMLSpy or Oxygen XML Editor programs illustrating the structural relationships not readily apparent from a data dictionary listing.

Unfortunately, due to timing and workload considerations we will probably not have the time to follow-through on this idea, but it is one that I thought was worth bringing to your attention. We think that this kind of approach makes more sense in addressing the concerns of developers and implementors than having a data dictionary in relative isolation from the context of the XML Schema (.xsd) which is the normative reference for the XML elements that make up our specifications. I am copying the subcommittees which are most involved with this idea.

In the long run, as we work through our existing specifications to bring them all into a coherent whole, we may yet adopt the approach which trhe EDXL-HAVE subcommittee has considered.

Thanks,
Rex Brooks