Subject: Re: EMF with PERs One-Pager Proposal

Thanks Jeff,

I'm putting this on the RIM SC Agenda for today's meeting, and copying that list so it's available to all who would like to discuss it.

See ya Then,
Rex

On 6/1/2020 2:39 PM, Jeff Waters wrote:
Hi, Elysa/Rex:

 Here is a draft one-pager proposal for the EMF prototype with a proposed Pandemic Emergency Response Standard (PERS). I did a word doc version as well as a prettier powerpoint version. Some say a good way to consider whether an idea is worth pursuing is to write a mock press release, announcing the product as if it was already built. If the press release isn't that exciting, then perhaps the idea isn't worth pursuing. So the prettier powerpoint one-pager is more like the press release, kind of acting like it's done and here's what you get. Although the content maybe needs to be cleaned up and improved, I find the powerpoint organization of content compelling, i.e. What is it? What will it do? What will it achieve? along with a pretty picture, some text description and a box to call out the deliverables. Note that the picture I included was just one that I could find. Probably needs to be replaced with something easier to read or something that looks like a cool smart app.

 Anyway, see what you think. It's a draft. If you think it's worth pursuing, we can revise and discuss as you think best at the RIM meeting tomorrow. Note that the cost could be in kind. For example, if a Google rep was willing to contribute some time as part of their own initiative, that could count. So if we could get all the funding that would be great, but maybe some part of the effort could be provided by the interested organizations. On my part, I'm submitting an internal research proposal for FY21 on this topic that would be helpful and perhaps fund someone from my lab half-time, but the proposal process is very competitive and emergency management isn't usually at the top of the priority list, but I'm trying. It would be much better to get DHS funding as we had in our earlier efforts.

 --Jeff