Subject: Re: [emergency] Agenda for 2/25 Call

Title: Re: [emergency] Agenda for 2/25 Call
Hi All,

Here are the standards and groups, beyond the HumanMarkup TC in OASIS with which I am concerned and in which I will be working.

Current ISO Standard for 3D on the web: Virtual Reality Modeling Language:

VRML97 Functional specification and
VRML97 External Authoring Interface (EAI)
International Standards
ISO/IEC 14772-1:1997, ISO/IEC 14772-2:2002

http://www.web3d.org/technicalinfo/specifications/ISO_IEC_14772-All/index.html

Current Proposed Succeeding ISO Standards for 3D on the web--Extensible 3D, an XML-based set of profiles (extensions) of core specification based on VRML97 (and mostly backward compatible with VRML97):

X3D Architecture and API -- ISO/IEC FCD 19775:200x
http://www.web3d.org/technicalinfo/specifications/ISO_IEC_19775/index.html

X3D XML and VRML Encodings -- ISO/IEC CD Preview Draft 19776:200x
http://www.web3d.org/technicalinfo/specifications/ISO_IEC_19776/index.html

GeoVRML 1.1 Specification (an extension to VRML97 ISO to describe geospatial support using GIS standards)
http://www.ai.sri.com/geovrml/
http://www.geovrml.org/1.1

Recent correspondence about planet earth program (which has been funded by Telstra in Australia to build a set of standard accurate representations for Earth):

http://www.ping.com.au/3map/

..."SRI's Digital Earth program (among many
others of course). We built interfaces to index, search, browse, and
visualize any location-based information. We dealt with issues such as
massive scalability, geospatial metadata, network streaming, large urban
models, and educational applications. You may wish to read a summary of this
work to see if it can inform your current directions.

Y. Leclerc, M. Reddy, M. Eriksen, J. Brecht, and D. Colleen (2002). "SRI's
  Digital Earth Project". Technical Report No. 560, Artificial Intelligence
  Center, SRI International, Menlo Park, CA. 1 August 2002.

  http://www.ai.sri.com/~reddy/pubs/pdf/sritn560.pdf

There is also a very good paper in next month's Web3D 2003 Symposium that
deals with merging of TIN-based terrain and urban models with level of
detail management. See the Navigation session and the paper "Generation of
VRML City Models for Focus Based Tour Animation"...
(Above is also, and will be, applicable to various aspects of emergency management.)

Humanoid Animation Specification (Amendment to VRML97 that will be extended in X3D

http://H-Anim.org/Specifications/H-Anim1.1/
http://www.h-anim.org/Specifications/H-Anim2001/

One of the goals of the Subcommittee I will be leading in the succeeding HumanMarkup work will be an inclusive set of standards for describing humans. The Name of this subcommittee is "Human Physical Characteristics Description Markup Language" and it will includebiometric, medical and other widely accepted physical standards, including a capacity to put control of an individual's medical history in the individual's hands--which ought to be helpful in emergency management.

Ciao,
Rex