Subject: EM TC 3/18/03 Meeting Minutes

EM-TC Meeting Minutes - 3/18/03

ATTENDEES:
Allen Wyke - Blue 292
Rick Carlton - E Team
Cathy M Subatch - E Team
Dave Robinson - Wells Fargo
Art Botterell - Partnership for Public Warning
Michael C. Wilson - TransState Media
Gary Ham - DHS
Eliot Christian - DOI
Bill Schroeder - ESRI
Joyce Kern - SunGard
Karl Kotalik - NC4
Mark Benemerito - SunGard
Steve Siegel - RamSafe
David Hall - Federal Support Systems
Jay Clark - Ship Analytics
John Silva - Silva Consulting
Rex Brooks - Starbourne
Nasseam Elkarra (Observer)
Steve DeWeese - x.Systems (Observer)
Jerry Weltman - Innovative Emergency Management (Observer)

MEETING MINUTES:
Many thanks to Gary Ham who helped summarize the meeting -  since I wasn't feeling 100%!  Many of these notes are his.

Allen started the meeting by noting that OASIS is in the midst of switching to a new collaboration system and there may be problems accessing stored information on the emergency list.  If you are still having trouble when you receive this email, please email Allen (awyke@blue292.com) and he will address the issue.

The subjects of interest then discussed at the meeting included:
1. Requirements Document and Organization of Requirements.
2. Chosen areas of subcommittee concentration.
3. Standards discussion
4. Liaison with apparent duplications of effort.

Requirements Document.

Allen had updated the document with edits from the last meeting and any emails since the last meeting.

Gary brought up the idea that we need to organize our documentation around the incident command system structure as that would likely be the structure for NIMS and NIMS-related artifacts was presented (see notes from last week's meeting for more detail on NIMS).  There was some discussion and general agreement, but based upon a suggestion from several of the TC members that we try to avoid the "process wars" the committee agreed to weaken the explicitness of support for ICS, while still using it as a general framework.  In other words we would support other frameworks as well, when needed.  Gary will bring more detail about NIMS and ICS to the face-to-face meeting.  In summary Allen stated that the group should identify which of the areas noted in the Requirements Document support the ICS framework - planning, operations, logistics and financial administration - and organize our components to support that structure.

Several minor changes to the Requirements document will be made and a "final" copy posted for next week.

Gary also addressed the meeting he, Allen, and Matt Walton (Chairperson, EM-XML Executive Committee) and Mark Zimmerman (DHS) attended with Steve Cooper (DHS CIO) on Monday.  They had twenty minutes of his time.  Matt Walton gave an explanation of the EM-XML consortium and how it related to Homeland Security Presidential Directive #5 (see last week's meeting notes for detail).  Mr. Cooper promised to put someone from his shop on both the EM-XML Executive Committee and the EM TC.

Subcommittee Concentration.

From the last meeting and the requirements document, the TC has identified specific areas of concentration of sufficient interest as to form subcommittees designed to build actual standards.  Those included: