[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]
Subject: EM TC 3/18/03 Meeting Minutes
The subjects of interest then discussed at the meeting included:
1. Requirements Document and Organization of Requirements.
2. Chosen areas of subcommittee concentration.
3. Standards discussion
4. Liaison with apparent duplications of effort.
Allen had updated the document with edits from the last meeting and any emails since the last meeting.
Gary brought up the idea that we need to organize our documentation around the incident command system structure as that would likely be the structure for NIMS and NIMS-related artifacts was presented (see notes from last week's meeting for more detail on NIMS). There was some discussion and general agreement, but based upon a suggestion from several of the TC members that we try to avoid the "process wars" the committee agreed to weaken the explicitness of support for ICS, while still using it as a general framework. In other words we would support other frameworks as well, when needed. Gary will bring more detail about NIMS and ICS to the face-to-face meeting. In summary Allen stated that the group should identify which of the areas noted in the Requirements Document support the ICS framework - planning, operations, logistics and financial administration - and organize our components to support that structure.
Several minor changes to the Requirements document will be made and a "final" copy posted for next week.
Gary also addressed the meeting he, Allen, and Matt Walton (Chairperson, EM-XML Executive Committee) and Mark Zimmerman (DHS) attended with Steve Cooper (DHS CIO) on Monday. They had twenty minutes of his time. Matt Walton gave an explanation of the EM-XML consortium and how it related to Homeland Security Presidential Directive #5 (see last week's meeting notes for detail). Mr. Cooper promised to put someone from his shop on both the EM-XML Executive Committee and the EM TC.
From the last meeting and the requirements document, the TC has identified specific areas of concentration of sufficient interest as to form subcommittees designed to build actual standards. Those included:
Three were moved to the forefront and chairpeople were identified (Thank you to the volunteers):
1. GIS - chaired by Elliot Christian (Rex and Bill to be members)
2. Notification Method and Messages (aka Alerts) - chaired by Art Botterell
3. Monitors and Data Acquisition - chaired by Rick Carlton. [ Note: this would include protocols for cross system delivery - the logical infrastructure of interoperability.]
There was some discussion around cybersecurity and Rex noted that aspects of it are covered in several categories and would need to be bounded. Rick mentioned that there will be some granular items that won't have specific reference points and should be added to the infrastructure charter. Let's not get wrapped up in where every detail may fit at this time.
Three others were considered dependent on the first three and were moved to "next on the list" and will be worked on in the future.
1. Asset and Resource Management (Rick - this is a downstream process and should attack top three first)
2. Public Health (Michael - is impacted by top three, can be put on back burner)
3. Financial Tracking (Dave - collection of data takes precedence - can also be put on back burner)
Allen had some questions about standards that were brought up at previous meetings.
1. ISO 11179 - which parts are applicable? Eliot pointed out that several parts were applicable. The practice is much easier to do - it will take us one stop beyond doing schema. It was agreed that we would generally follow ISO 11179 rules for defining and documenting standards.
2. NIST - any specific standards we should consider? Elliot stated that it would be "relatively easy" to submit our results to NIST as potential FIPS standards. Such effort could cause their use to be mandatory in Federal contracts.
3. ASC12 - Current X12 and similar standards still require research as to applicability in the EM space and to determine if liaison activity is required. Need to research ones that we want to adopt, but don't want to become an X.12 committee. Once subcommittees start, should free up some time for Allen and he can do some researching.
Potential overlap discussion:
1. The OGC is developing a Situation Object and Alerting System Specification. We need to see if it is complementary, supplementary, a duplication, or some combination of the three. Liaison with the OGC will be required.
2. The ebXML group has formed an Emergency Management subcommittee. Is this a duplication of effort?
The next meeting will be held Tuesday, March 24th, 1:00pm EST, 10am PST
Dial In: 1.800.453.7412 Access Code: 604776
FACE TO FACE MEETING:
Thursday, April 3rd, 9:30am - 4:30pm EST
|Federal Support Systems|
1655 N. Fort Myer Drive
Arlington, VA 22209
Building is approximately 2 blocks from the Rosslyn metro station
Meeting will take place on the 11th floor in the SMART Technologies Conference Room
Cathy M. Subatch
E Team Inc.