OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

emergency message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: No Subject

Federal Support Systems
Camber Corporation
1655 N. Fort Myer Drive
Arlington, VA 22209

Building is approximately 2 blocks from the Rosslyn metro station

Meeting will take place on the 11th floor in the SMART Technologies 
Conference Room

Cathy M. Subatch
E Team Inc.
818.932.0660 x248
--=_alternative 0010358288256CEF_=
Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"

<div align=center>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><b>EM-TC Meeting Minutes - 3/18/03</b></font></div>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><b><u>ATTENDEES:</u></b></font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Allen Wyke - Blue 292</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Rick Carlton - E Team</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Cathy M Subatch - E Team</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Dave Robinson - Wells Fargo</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Art Botterell - Partnership for Public Warning</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Michael C. Wilson - TransState Media</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Gary Ham - DHS</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Eliot Christian - DOI</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Bill Schroeder - ESRI</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Joyce Kern - SunGard</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Karl Kotalik - NC4</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Mark Benemerito - SunGard</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Steve Siegel - RamSafe</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">David Hall - Federal Support Systems</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Jay Clark - Ship Analytics</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">John Silva - Silva Consulting</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Rex Brooks - Starbourne</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Nasseam Elkarra (Observer)</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Steve DeWeese - x.Systems (Observer)</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Jerry Weltman - Innovative Emergency Management (Observer)</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><b><u>MEETING MINUTES:</u></b></font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Many thanks to Gary Ham who helped summarize the meeting - &nbsp;since I wasn't feeling 100%! &nbsp;Many of these notes are his.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Allen started the meeting by noting that OASIS is in the midst of switching to a new collaboration system and there may be problems accessing stored information on the emergency list. &nbsp;If you are still having trouble when you receive this email, please email Allen (awyke@blue292.com) and he will address the issue.</font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif">The subjects of interest then discussed at the meeting included:<br>
1. Requirements Document and Organization of Requirements. <br>
2. Chosen areas of subcommittee concentration. <br>
3. Standards discussion <br>
4. Liaison with apparent duplications of effort. </font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><u>Requirements Document. &nbsp;</u></font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Allen had updated the document with edits from the last meeting and any emails since the last meeting. &nbsp;</font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><i>Gary</i> brought up the idea that we need to organize our documentation around the incident command system structure as that would likely be the structure for NIMS and NIMS-related artifacts was presented (see notes from last week's meeting for more detail on NIMS). &nbsp;There was some discussion and general agreement, but based upon a suggestion from several of the TC members that we try to avoid the &quot;process wars&quot; the committee agreed to weaken the explicitness of support for ICS, while still using it as a general framework. &nbsp;In other words we would support other frameworks as well, when needed. &nbsp;Gary will bring more detail about NIMS and ICS to the face-to-face meeting. &nbsp;In summary Allen stated that the group should identify which of the areas noted in the Requirements Document support the ICS framework - planning, operations, logistics and financial administration - and organize our components to support that structure. &nbsp;</font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Several minor changes to the Requirements document will be made and a &quot;final&quot; copy posted for next week.</font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><i>Gary </i>also addressed the meeting he, Allen, and Matt Walton (Chairperson, EM-XML Executive Committee) and Mark Zimmerman (DHS) attended with Steve Cooper (DHS CIO) on Monday. &nbsp;They had twenty minutes of his time. &nbsp;Matt Walton gave an explanation of the EM-XML consortium and how it related to Homeland Security Presidential Directive #5 (see last week's meeting notes for detail). &nbsp;Mr. Cooper promised to put someone from his shop on both the EM-XML Executive Committee and the EM TC.</font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Subcommittee Concentration. </font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif">From the last meeting and the requirements document, the TC has identified specific areas of concentration of sufficient interest as to form subcommittees designed to build actual standards. &nbsp;Those included:</font>
<li><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Notification methods and messages</font>
<li><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Emergency GIS data accessibility and usage</font>
<li><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Asset and resource management</font>
<li><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Areas around financial tracking</font>
<li><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Areas around public health</font>
<li><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Monitoring and data acquisition (added since last meeting by Rick Carlton)</font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Three were moved to the forefront and chairpeople were identified (Thank you to the volunteers): <br>
1. &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <b>GIS</b> - chaired by Elliot Christian &nbsp;(Rex and Bill to be members)<br>
2. &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <b>Notification Method and Messages</b> (aka Alerts) - chaired by Art Botterell <br>
3. &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <b>Monitors and Data Acquisition</b> - chaired by Rick Carlton. &nbsp;[ Note: this would include protocols for cross system delivery - the logical &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; infrastructure of interoperability.] </font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif">There was some discussion around cybersecurity and <i>Rex</i> noted that aspects of it are covered in several categories and would need to be bounded. &nbsp;<i>Rick</i> mentioned that there will be some granular items that won't have specific reference points and should be added to the infrastructure charter. &nbsp;Let's not get wrapped up in where every detail may fit at this time.</font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Three others were considered dependent on the first three and were moved to &quot;next on the list&quot; &nbsp;and will be worked on in the future.<br>
1. &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Asset and Resource Management (<i>Rick</i> - this is a downstream process and should attack top three first)<br>
2. &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Public Health (<i>Michael</i> - is impacted by top three, can be put on back burner)<br>
3. &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Financial Tracking (<i>Dave</i> - collection of data takes precedence - can also be put on back burner)</font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Standards Discussion. </font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Allen had some questions about standards that were brought up at previous meetings.</font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif">1. ISO 11179 - which parts are applicable? &nbsp;Eliot pointed out that several parts were applicable. &nbsp;The practice is much easier to do - it will take us one stop beyond doing schema. &nbsp;It was agreed that we would generally follow ISO 11179 rules for defining and documenting standards. <br>
2. NIST - any specific standards we should consider? &nbsp;<i>Elliot </i>stated that it would be &quot;relatively easy&quot; to submit our results to NIST as potential FIPS standards. &nbsp;Such effort could cause their use to be mandatory in Federal contracts.</font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif">3. ASC12 - Current X12 and similar standards still require research as to applicability in the EM space and to determine if liaison activity is required. &nbsp;Need to research ones that we want to adopt, but don't want to become an X.12 committee. &nbsp;Once subcommittees start, should free up some time for Allen and he can do some researching.</font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Potential overlap discussion: <br>
1. The OGC is developing a Situation Object and Alerting System Specification. &nbsp;We need to see if it is complementary, supplementary, a duplication, or some combination of the three. Liaison with the OGC will be required.</font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif">2. &nbsp;The ebXML group has formed an Emergency Management subcommittee. &nbsp;Is this a duplication of effort? </font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><b><u>ACTION ITEMS:</u></b></font>
<li><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><i>Rick</i> - to send out email describing function of &quot;monitor and data acquisition&quot; group &nbsp;and propose a semantic change and solicit feedback</font>
<li><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><i>Allen</i> - send out new draft of Requirements Document with notes from this meeting. &nbsp;After reviewed and commented by committee, will send out final draft by Wednesday.</font>
<li><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><i>Eliot</i> - to post information about Emergency Management ebXML exercise.</font>
<li><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><i>Cathy</i> - to send out hotel/airport information for face-to-face meeting.</font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><b><u>NEXT MEETING:</u></b></font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif">The next meeting will be held Tuesday, March 24th, 1:00pm EST, 10am PST</font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Dial In: <b>1.800.453.7412</b> &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Access Code: <b>604776</b></font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><b><u>FACE TO FACE MEETING:</u></b></font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Thursday, April 3rd, 9:30am - 4:30pm EST</font>
<table border>
<tr valign=top>
<td><font size=3 face="Times New Roman">Federal Support Systems</font>
<tr valign=top>
<td><font size=3 face="Times New Roman">Camber Corporation</font>
<br><font size=3 face="Times New Roman">1655 N. Fort Myer Drive</font>
<br><font size=3 face="Times New Roman">Arlington, VA 22209</font>
<br><font size=3 face="Times New Roman">Building is approximately 2 blocks from the Rosslyn metro station</font>
<br><font size=3 face="Times New Roman"><b>Meeting will take place on the 11th floor in the SMART Technologies Conference Room</b></font>
<p><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Cathy M. Subatch<br>
E Team Inc.<br>
818.932.0660 x248</font></ul></ul>
--=_alternative 0010358288256CEF_=--

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]