EM TC Meeting Minutes - 3/24/03
Allen Wyke (Chairperson)
Rick Carlton (Co-chair) - E Team
Cathy M Subatch (Secretary) - E Team
Jay Clark - Ship Analytics
Joyce Kern - SunGard
Dave Robinson - Wells Fargo
Gary Ham - DHS
Bona Nasition - MTG Management Consulting
Bill Schroeder - ESRI
Eliot Christian - DOI
Stephen Jepsen - Oracle
David Hall - Federal Support Systems
Art Botterell - Partnership for Public Warning
Michael C. Wilson - TranState Media
Karl Kotalik - NC4
Steve Siegel - RAMsafe
John Silva - Silva Consulting
Jerry Weltman (Observer)
Allen noted that there have been some difficulties posting to email due to the new collaboration system that OASIS has implemented. He has been working on this issue. Contact Allen if you are still having problems with email.
This week's agenda was to discuss:
1. Final comments on the requirements document
3. Face-to-face meeting agenda
Are there any other comments to the document. Take comments until end of day and then post to member page. Will be posted as a draft until TC votes to formalize document. All members should read and become familiar with document
We have decided on three sub-commitees and their associated chairs. All members need to determine which sub-commitee they want to join. Each chair will take a first pass at a statement of purpose and post so that all can review before deciding which subcommittee to join. At next week's face-to-face meeting, the subcommittees will work to create their own charter, statement of purpose and deliverables. The three subcommittees agreed to are:
- GIS - to be jointly chaired by Eliot Christian and Bill Schroeder
- Notifications, Methods and Messages - Art Botterell
- Infrastructure - Rick Carlton
The third group was originally called Monitoring and Acquisition but Rick felt that it was not broad enough to address all issues that may relate to infrastructure. This area should be concerned with the continuum - identify what are the components, how they interact and how they move around. Decided to float the discussion of the subcommittee name for everyone to review this week - email any issues.
- Eliot - We don't need to develop all standards, there are infrastructure issues such RDS, Web Services, Security that aren't unique to emergency management. Individual members need to be aware of this but we don't necessarily need a subcommitee to develop standards in those areas.
- Gary - we probably need to think about how to package them instead
- Rick - Numerous standards are emerging in web services that accertain to web services. Maybe we should call the group, "Adapted Infrastructure." Our function is to do research and identify applicable standards
- Michael - do we really want to take a wait and see attitude. OASIS doesn't have committees working on these areas
- Rick - we need to consider the NIMS infrastructure. We need to be logically postioned to drive the thinking for that infrastructure.
- Art - Conceptual level similar to what ComCare group prototype effort. Should use as a point of departure, a strawman
- Eliot - From a standards perspective sounds like profiling. Look at standards that are out there within the set of all web services with an interoperability focus
- Gary - Notion of management of services needs to be understood
First Allen asked if there other topics we need to discuss at the face-to-face meeting besides working on the subcommittees.
The meeting will start out focusing on the formal formation of the subcommitee and then have break out sessions to continue to work. Other areas of discussion for the afternoon include:
- Process to liaison to other standards groups
- Web Services
- How to best communicate with the EM-XML Executive Committee
Rick also gave a brief description of results of a recent meeting of EM-XML Consortium (Executive Committee and EM TC) members had with Steve Cooper, CIO, DHS. There is potential for getting budget from Cooper downstream. Need to draft verification, level exercises and potential budget. Identify "wires and pliers" needed. Gary added that there is no budget currently available but money will "pop up" at the end of the government's fiscal year and there may be money left to fund a proof of concept (Sept) so we need to have a proposal ready.
- Subcommittee Chairs - draft initial charter with email to solicit feedback/are you interested? (scope and purpose)
- Membership - decide which subcommittee to join
- Membership - input to chairs of subcommittee on charter
- Membership - to provide Allen with any other agenda items for next week's meeting
- Allen - provide agenda for April 3rd meeting
- Allen - send email pointing to OASIS site on how to create a subcommittee
- Rex - send email when he learns more about NY Academy of Medicine, NY portal on Public Health which is based on web services
Due to our first face-to-face meeting next Thursday there will be no teleconference on Tuesday.
Next meeting will be Thursday, April 3rd, 9:30am - 4:30pm EST in Arlington, VA
Location: Federal Support Systems (host)
Camber Corporation, 1655 N. Fort Myer Drive, Arlington, VA 22209, 11th Floor in the SMART Technologies Conference Room
Cathy M. Subatch
E Team Inc.