Subject: GIF SC Interest

Hi Folks,

I happen to subscribe to a fairly wide variety of lists, so I may
have missed a posting about a rough GIS SC charter or mission
statement, but regardless, I wanted to be on record requesting to
participate in that SC. Because I am already a vice chair of one TC
and a SC chair of another, I can't promise to take on much in the way
of a role, but I would be happy to work on a couple of aspects of Web
Services, which spans Infrastructure as well. I doubt I will actually
be able to participate in both, although I would prefer it if it were
possible.

Since many government agencies, such as USGS already operate in a de
facto web services portal manner, I may be able to coordinate some of
that in terms of the Web Services for Remote Portlets Specification
that is slated to come up for Committee Specification approval in
April, or early May.

Also, although I can't devote the time and effort needed to be the
security liaison, I have already explored the Joint Security
Committee for coordinating my own work with it, and I suggest that we
consider establishing a liaison with that group for the purpose of
gathering information about all the security TC spec efforts and for
giving our input about our specific needs in this area. When we spoke
about the need to "drive" some aspects of those efforts, it occurred
to me that this is perhaps a good way to do that and also to be aware
of the progress of those specs. For instance we already have SAML,
and XACML, and I believe WSS is about to bring out its first spec,
and we will need to be interoperable with those, as will the e-gov
folks with which I suspect we also need to have a formal liaison.
E-gov, however, is still at about the same stage of development as
EM, so it may be premature to invest much energy in that effort yet,
though I suspect Eliot and others will keep us informed about that.

Ciao,
1361-A Addison, Berkeley, CA 94702 *510-849-2309