Subject: RE: [emergency] Naming Conventions

Title: RE: [emergency] Naming Conventions
Yep. That's about it.

Ciao,
Rex

Got it, Rex.   The usual meta-meta problem:  do a data design a la abstract interface
or create a vocabulary.  I like the VRML solution to that:  do both with the
encodings and vocabularies as optional features.  It's more work but one
can nail down the semantics and give the user community a chance to
converge at the level of efficiency most appropriate to the local contracting
situation.  When volunteer groups sit down to create specs and standards,
they should keep in mind the problem for the actual industry of changing
horses.   We're glad to see the work being done by OASIS in public safety,
but until it shows up in an RFP, it's just nice-to-have, Sounds Good Maybe Later,
kind of work.  DOJ can't drive it down from the top without funding it too.  And
technical standards that don't account for medium constraints don't have a
snowball's chance anyway.  Thus, we use the RFP to guide us and cost
accordingly.

I note reading through the JusticeXML dictionary that they have wisely left
open most aspects of the data definition (eg, loose types, loose occurrence
constraints, etc) and stayed mainly to a labeled tree.  Much easier to live
with that way.

len