Subject: Re: [emergency] BEA, Microsoft, and Tibco Release WS-EventingSpecification

Thanks, John,

This is of more than a little interest. It troubles me. I don't
understand what this is good for in and of itself. It doesn't "DO"
anything but pass messages as far as I can see, and doesn't do
anything else that isn't already possible.  Also it introduces yet
more new "notation" that uses "?"., "*" and "+" for cardinality
values. WSRP already has a registry-based WSDL mechanism for the
processes described in this specification, not to mention a whole
flock of mechanisms that were crafted in order to leave room for
"true" eventing. Eventing requires (IMHO) "triggering" mechanisms
with clear defined results quite beyond receipt of a simple message
whether it is an event, notification or what? and regardless of
whether or not any such "subscription" is involved beyond
"registration."

It also bothers me when I see a specification that so concerned with
fault messages and failure scenarios.

All of which adds up in my mind to an attempt to somehow "own" the
term "eventing" and apply the concept of "subscription" to it.

I think we can do a lot better.

Ciao,
Rex

At 6:16 AM -0800 1/12/04, Aerts, John F. wrote:
>This may be of interest.
>

>WS-Eventing describes how to construct an event-oriented message
>exchange pattern using WS-Addressing concepts, allowing Web services
>to act as event sources for subscribers. It defines the operations
>required to manage subscriptions to event sources, as well as how the
>actual event messages are constructed....
>
>Http://www.webservices.org/index.php/article/view/1300/BEA
>
>John Aerts, Lieutenant
>
>CCHRS Program Manager
>
>Records & Identification Bureau
>12440 E. Imperial Highway, Suite 400W
>Norwalk, California 90650
>
>Office:	562 465 7876
>Mobile:	562 706 3964
>Pager:	800 273 8474
>FAX :	323 415 2666
>

>To unsubscribe from this mailing list (and be removed from the
>roster of the OASIS TC), go to
>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/emergency/members/leave_workgroup.php.

W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com
Email: rexb@starbourne.com