Subject: EM GIS-Msg SCs-02-17-04

Title: EM GIS-Msg SCs-02-17-04
Hi Folks,

Here is the write up I mentioned yesterday in lieu of regular minutes for the GIS and Msg SCs.

Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Art Botterel,
Tom Merkle,
Carl Reed,
Rex Brooks
Gary Ham

We met via the telecon number in what amounted to a bullpen session of both the GIS and Msg SCs due largely to the process of sorting out the new overall TC-SC Teleconferencing Schedule.

The main topic was "Where do we go from Here?" The process of publicizing CAP as it moves forward through the OASIS Standards Approval Process was the primary point, although we also discussed various secondary topics revolving around individual interests.

Tom discussed his observations of what is going on with regard to Emergency Management issues vis a vis his contacts through CapWIN in the context of DHS. The upshot of these discussions was the suggestion that we explore the possibilities of either establishing newsletters relating Emergency Management issues in general in various venues and/or contributing to such newsletters as CapWIN's.

http://www.capwin.org/newsletter.html

This would give us a way to publicize CAP and promote adoption. We tossed around several topics, such as a description of the early development of CAP in PPW and Art's experiences with EDIS in California and some possible contributions from DMIS relating to interoperability issues. Those are just a couple of several ideas we discussed, including some mention of OGC's newsletter as another venue, or source for finding such within the GIS community as well discussion of articles about various interrelated standards efforts that could and perhaps should be working together on building communities of practice.

Tom said he would look into these possibilities from his perspective, as will Carl and Rex and Art said they would be willing to work on articles and looking into other venues.

The issues of registries was brought up again, and Rex said that he is joining the eGov TC actively and will be involved with the development of registries in the the web services context using both UDDI and ebXML. He also mentioned that there were some excellent presentations made in January at the xml.gov meetings, and more were planned for Wed. Feb. 18, 2004, which he would be attending via teleconference. I did and the interrelationships between registries and Business Process Execution Language/Workflow Management was focused by these presentations.

Ciao,
W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com
Email: rexb@starbourne.com
Tel: 510-849-2309