Subject: RE: RE: [emergency] Fwd: Re: [cam] Re: [xml-dev] What do want ina FAQ for a new spec

Title: RE: RE: [emergency] Fwd: Re: [cam] Re: [xml-dev] What do w
Hi Eleanor,

It would be helpful if you could "reply to all" because I am trying to spread out the work on this. For this question, in particular, I think Art has a better, more complete, perspective and can supply an answer that includes the genesis of the effort. As for the why in my particular frame of reference it is to ensure that the alerts can be received and responded to by the widest as well as the most focused audiences of first responders so that those first responders know that they are all receiving the same basic range of information.  However I have heard Art make better and more thorough statements about this.

Ciao,
Rex

This may be too basic a question but for the true novice here's a question:

Why do we need CAP alerts?

I think a short paragraph would help anyone new person trying to sell CAP specs to his organization and it would serve as an introduction for the curious.   How many questions do we need to start the FAQ?

Eleanor

-----Original Message-----
From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 1:49 PM
To: emergency@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Everyone,

Please excuse the rather disorganized way in which I have gone about this. Adding a new and very non-trivial task to a list that was already longer than I can adequately address was not wise, but I think we have a fairly reasonable basis to get started in terms of the most basic questions that we should answer in the FAQ.

I have attached the Content Assembly Mechanism TC's brochure as another example of collateral support materials that we should consider developing.

 If we take Eleanor's question as the basis for the FAQ and David's numbered points as the basis for a brochure-type document, and start working on some newsletter articles, perhaps based on some of the following specific topics, I think we would have the arena just about covered.

Having beaten myself to shreds on the WSRP Primer (just one section of it), I'm not ready to start an implementation guide real soon, and I would suggest that one of the representatives of one of the firms in the TC who have developed implementations would be better qualified for that. I also suggest working from the message logs (with and without SOAP) that CAP alerts are generated by and show how those are used in implmentations to generate the markup which an emergency manager (end-user) sees and uses would be the best way to proceed for encouraging adoption by developers.

Here's my list of specific questions:

Is there an API? Yes. More than one? Yes. DMIS http://www.cmi-services.org/

Are there examples? Yes. http://www.edis.ca.gov/cap/

Is there a support community? Yes,  Emergency Interoperability Consortium

 (We need a member to explain what the current status is, and maybe someone should correct the article found below. People will get confused if they see OASIS and EIC claiming development of CAP.
http://www.homelandsecurityintelwatch.net/200401/storyinterop.html  )

What does "transport agnostic" mean? (Art explains this better than I could.)

Ciao,
Rex