Subject: [no subject]

The actual normative/best practices coding scheme that we recommend is =
EPSG 6.0

Hope this is not all too geo-geeky, but CRS is one of the big =
misunderstood areas of spatial processing that is often minimized or =
ignored by the larger information processing community. This is very =
unfortunate as a properly expressed and used approach to dealing with =
reference systems reduces error, increases accuracy, is fully =
international, is extensible, is legally defensible . . . need I go on??

Cheers

Carl

PS: One last thing - the definition of a coordinate reference system: =
coordinate system which is related to the real world by a datum. So, the =
datum is only one piece of the equation :-)

And the definition of datum: parameter or set of parameters that =
determine the location of the origin, the orientation and the scale of a =
coordinate reference system.

Now, if you want to really get into the issue of defining elevation - =
what Dave was alluding to - elevation: distance of a point from a chosen =
reference surface along the direction of the gravity vector from the =
point to that surface.
  NOTE 1 See ellipsoidal height and gravity-related height. It should be =
noted that ellipsoidal height is defined w.r.t. an ellipsoidal model of =
the shape of the earth. Ellipsoidal height is measured from the point =
along the line perpendicular to the ellipsoid's surface.

  NOTE 2 Height of a point outside the surface treated as positive; =
negative height is also named as depth.

----- Original Message -----=20