Subject: Re: [emergency] Re: [emergency-comment] RE: Content ( was RE: [emergency-comment] RE: [CAP] RE: CAP-list digest...)

On Mar 23, 2004, at 2:11 PM, Kon Wilms wrote:

> Couldn't it be argued that an implementation has to at least do 'some
> work'?

There is plenty of work the implementation has to do - no doubt about
that. But much like an accountant that has to follow the IRS rules,
these rules should make a valiant effort to remove ambiguous areas.
That allows implementers to not start at square 1, but rather start
where you can get into the real down and dirty details of implementing
a standard.

> A standard isn't defined by its ability to transparently cross all
> protocol,
> interface, and transport boundaries. Thats shooting too high, and any
> such
> attempt to tie all these aspects together is doomed to failure.

I do not disagree with that statement at all, nor does anything I have
said convey such a statement. A standard is, however, defined by its
level and scope of adoption, which has a direct correlation with the
clarity in which it approaches it target implementer/market.

> I see no problem with having to implement connectors. Its just part of
> the
> natural cycle of interfacing to external systems.

That is because your world of possibilities is limited. You would not
say that if you had to interface with 1000 systems. Just the overhead
of keeping track of each of the alert suppliers, let alone the
programming involved can kill anyone. The reason we have a standard,
which is to consolidate these 1000 (and I wish it was only 1000) types
of alerts into a single format and method to exchange. Doing so means
that any implementation, be it mine, yours, or whoevers, can actually
and honestly exchange alerts. It is not unlike how a gazillion Web
pages are exchanged and rendered in various browsers. Sure, there are
some subtle differences, but its not a bunch of one-offs for each Web
page.

> I don't think anyone on my
> team even batted an eyelid when this subject came up -- just implement
> protocol/interface aggregator and expand its connectors as required.

Yeah, but how does the CAP message get into your system or come from
whatever the case may be? While I am sure I can take a guess or two and
get it right at some point, that is not the point - guessing. guess !=
standard, and therefore it starts to feel more like a proprietary
approach to implementing an agreed upon set of elements.

--
R. Allen Wyke
Chair, OASIS Emergency Management TC