Subject: Re: [emergency] Re: [emergency-comment] FW: [CAP] Unique MessageIdentifiers in CAP

At 10:08 AM -0500 3/23/04, R. Allen Wyke wrote:
>We seem to take the "vote on it and move on" rather than "address
>the issue, which may mean a vote" approach, which as Chair concerns
>me. It is a train wreck waiting to happen.

Allen, if there's been a lack of breadth and depth in our discussion
of specific issues... and in some areas there has been... then that's
something you, as Chair, need not only to decry but also to take some
responsibility for.  I very much regret that most of the input I've
heard from you over the past half-a-year seems to been of the "we're
going too fast" or "that won't work" or "we're on the road to hell"
variety.  I'm afraid that negativity has taken a toll both on the
TC's membership and on its productivity.

Ultimately the question is "who needs to be satisfied, and what do
they consider satisfactory?"  To my mind, the only meaningful owners
of CAP are the folks who actually use it.  Allen, has your firm
invested the effort, as many others have, to actually implement and
deploy a CAP application outside its own office and in active
connection with multiple other implementers?  If not, then I'm not
sure why we should consider satisfying your personal opinion of what
constitutes "addressing the issue" to be our chief goal.  (And if so,
then why not back up your various concerns with some specific
evidence from that specific effort so we can craft specific
solutions?)

Our priority needs to be to field a basic standard quickly, build
positive awareness of it in the user community, and then to pay
attention to the folks who've actually rolled up their sleeves and
applied it as we decide what can be refined.  Otherwise we're just
spinning our wheels in a pool of our own anxieties.

Anyway, critiques of process and forecasts of doom aren't getting the
job done.  It's time to start talking about what we can do next and
how to mobilize and energize the TC to do it, not just moan about
what we haven't done yet.

If your other responsibilities don't permit you to bring affirmative
leadership to CAP and our other projects... or if you feel so
strongly that you just can't bring yourself to stand behind the TC's
decisions... then maybe you ought to consider accepting our thanks
for a year of hard work and passing the Chair to someone who can
summon a more constructive attitude.

- Art

PS - On the very first slide in the first emergency management class
I ever took there appeared this quote attributed to a Roman general
named Paulus:  "If, therefore, anyone thinks himself qualified to
give advice respecting the war which I am to conduct-- let him not
refuse his assistance to the State, but let him come with me into
Macedonia... but if he thinks this is too much trouble, and prefers
the repose of a city life to the toils of war, let him not on land
assume the office of a pilot."