Subject: Re: [emergency] Standard or Spec (was RE: [emergency] FW: [legalxml-intjustice] GJXDM...)

On Mar 23, 2004, at 11:03 AM, Art Botterell wrote:

> At 9:06 AM -0600 3/23/04, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>> CAP and Global Justice are specifications for systems  groups want to
>> create.
>
> Um... well, that's certainly true in part.  However, within the
> warning systems industry there are existing systems and an immediate
> need for standards and that's where CAP originated.
>
> Occasionally we've drifted into discussion of some ultimate system
> we'd like to see built.  Nothing wrong with that sort of visioning,
> but in the meantime real-world applications of CAP are happening right
> now... in DC, in Oregon, in California and in Australia just to
> mention a few.

Let's keep in mind that while the result of mass (or whatever level)
adoption of CAP may result in a "warning system", regardless of but
fully acknowledging it as part of its history, that is not the purpose
of CAP. CAP is applicable in a much wider sense. A "warning system"
would be the purpose of an implementation. CAP role in a warning system
is to facilitate the exchanging of alert data in an interoperable way.

So, if Oregon, California, whoever wants to build a State-wide warning
system and use CAP, that is great, but that is not 100% (the walled
garden) of what CAP is for. Maybe a bank wants to pull some of those
warnings, while at the same time take alerts from other service
providers, such as a weather service, computer virus alert service, or
even a smoke alarm system that is going off at one of their branches.
They may want to consume CAP alerts from a 1,000 or more different
sources, but to do so there has to be enough commonality in how CAP is
defined to ensure these various services do not need a bunch of one-off
interfaces.

That is clearly just one example, but I do hope it illustrates the
point - Allen

--
R. Allen Wyke
Chair, OASIS Emergency Management TC