Subject: Re: [emergency] Fwd: [CAP] Re: [emergency-comment] Re: CAP and attribute-free encodings...

Art, I can only apologize, if I am accurately interpreting the issues
you seem to have, that this is the understanding you have of where we
are in the process. While there are clearly some other and deeper
issues that seem to be coming forward that will need to be addressed, I
sincerely want to try and help you understand where things are, which I
*hope* will put all the comments that have been made into perspective.
I am going to go ahead and cc: the list in this reply just to make sure
we are all on the same page.

First, CAP 1.0, from a spec (not marketing) perspective, is "done" as
it pertains to the TC. It has passed its tests (been voted on) and sent
to college (off to the next standards challenge - the OASIS
membership). So, there should be no concerns about "stopping" CAP or
freezing it to rehash previously discussed issues. No one can change
this, and I am honestly trying to interpret your passion as a
reflection of wanting to keep this that way. Rest assured, this is the
case.

Moving on and the second thing to remember is that what we are engaged
in (ie: these emails flying back and forth) is taking the feedback
(external, internal, mine, yours, whoever) and throwing it back into
the group for debating and discussion. This is exactly what we have
wanted, and that you have personally asked for on many occasions - to
get CAP out and get feedback from implementors. That is what is
happening.

As I stated in a previous email, the resolutions of these issues, if
they required any material change from v1.0, would be put in a
subsequent version of CAP (1.1, 2.0, whatever). So, all of the comments
that are being made are being made from the perspective of "what's next
to address." How can we make CAP better in the next version? This is
the step we are now at with CAP.

I think it is important to put the comments in the right time and
space, as doing such can result in misunderstandings through two or
more groups discussion what may seem like the same issue, but are
actually different ones (e.g., are these issues to be addressed in 1.0
or 1.1).

Hopefully this clarifies things and will help refocus the context of
the discussions - Allen

--
R. Allen Wyke
Chair, OASIS Emergency Management TC