Subject: RE: [emergency] Message encryption -- was RE: [emergency-comment] RE: [CAP] RE: CAP-list digest...)

>I completely agree - not part of CAP. That being said, just as using
SSL to define/profile "how" pages should be sent securely across HTTP,
we do need to address transporting the data to ensure we done a bunch
of servers (aka implementations) doing their own thing. Otherwise
nothing will work. We need to provide at least some level of guidance.

True. There needs to be a list of what protocols can be used, in what
combination they should be implemented, which is preferable, and what the
encryption guidelines are (minimum key length, cipher mechanism (AES FIPS,
etc.), etc.). Tracked through the OSI layers and application layers, this
would be fairly compelling as a guideline for anyone, no matter how
notty-gritty they want to get.

This is more important for people who are developing solutions that will tie
in to third party solutions -- i.e. they are either a source or sink.

For those that control the source and sink (such as a broadcaster), the
solution can be any that they choose (cherry picking of encryption transport
solutions and packetizers is commonplace, and wach vendor may use the same
standard algorithms in a different/proprietary way), as long as it meets the
same basic encryption baseline requirements when transporting the message.
However, where the receiver acts as a source or the headend acts as a sink
for CAP messages, these need to obey the two-way network guidelines.

Anyway I'm all for spelling things out, vs. some sort of nebulous
pie-in-the-sky generalizations about what to use for transport
implementation.

Cheers
Kon

Information contained in this email message is intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the postmaster@nds.com and destroy the original message.