Subject: Re: [emergency] Message encryption -- was RE: [emergency-comment] RE: [CAP] RE: CAP-list digest...)

I think that we can probably agree that one very significant part of
our work going forward will be to decide on whether we think it is
wise for us to take on the work of specifying mechanisms for use in
particular transport protocols. To take Gary's preference a bit
farther, we need to come up with specific wrappers, within the
overall basic CAP 1.0 standard we have now. In a JSR168 context, that
will need to be one thing, a container, while in WSRP that's the
producer. In Kon's terms these are sources (senders-pitchers).
Applications which aggregate portlets (specific little web services
which a CAP application might be), are sinks, (receivers-catchers).
How these are differentiated is something we might want to build a
table of equivalencies for, or not, or just outright specify, which I
hope we don't do because then we end up having to respond to each and
every wrinkle all these myriad overlapping, and largely unnecessary
web services organizations, consortia, application framework whosits,
and whatnots, send out to see what sticks. Eventing certainly looks
to be going the pub-sub route. I don't happen to favor that, but I
have already resigned myself to it.

I don't love this thicket of competing standards, or standards
efforts to be more accurate since few actual standards have
emerged--a couple from WS-I*, some from W3C, and WSRP from OASIS and
a whole raft of others-- but that's what is going on, so we are bound
to have more not less choices to make, and we are going to have to
make some of those choices, regardless.

Encryption, PKI, XML Signatures in SOAP and DIME and SOAP with
Attachments, Access Control, SAML, Roles, Permissions, Rights--the
whole kit and kaboodle. In WSRP we have so far just punted it over to
those TCs and working groups, but the day is coming when some
decisions are going to have to be made there, too.

Ciao,
Rex