Subject: RE: [emergency] Implementing CAP

R. Allen Wyke wrote:
>> On Mar 26, 2004, at 5:33 PM, Kon Wilms wrote:
>> We had to do some modifications to get it to work on
>> strongly-typed parsers,
> Stop the press (just for a sec). Would love to hear what
> modifications you had to do. Good feedback to the group
> for the next version.
	He may have had to make the same kind of bug fixes that we did
in order to get the XSD to work with his tools. For instance,
anonymous simple types in XSDs should not have "name" attributes.
Thus, we had to modify the XSD to remove these attributes from the
many places they occur in the CAP XSD.

	For example, the CAP spec calls for:
             <element name="msgType">
                    <simpleType name = "msgType">
                        <restriction base="string">
                        </restriction>
                    </simpleType>
                </element>

	We had to remove the "name" attribute to make it conform to
standards. Thus, we have:
             <element name="msgType">
                    <simpleType>
                        <restriction base="string">
                        </restriction>
                    </simpleType>
                </element>

	Note: It is normally the case that these sorts of edits to the
schemas are done *before* something is put up for adoption. Certainly,
the schema should be put through a validator of some kind before being
published.. In this particular case, most "advanced" XSD tools will
either complain about the name attributes or will, like Microsoft's
tools, simply rewrite the schema once it is loaded into the
development environment.
	Was the CAP schema ever validated? If so, what tool was used
to do the validation?

		bob wyman