Subject: RE: [emergency] Fwd: [emergency-comment] CAP Normative Schema is improperly defined

Some info from my side -

Windows Borland tools for processing XML (the XML to recordset translator
for C++/Delphi/etc.) require that simpletype be translated to complextype.
This is a 'quick fix' but seems to work. For .NET, one of our guys is
rewriting the schema to make it work. There were also some case typos in the
1.0 spec (simpletype vs. simpleType - strongly 'typed' parsers such as the
latest .NET version will not validate the schema when case is incorrect).
All of these use the MSXML DOM.

Cheers
Kon

-----Original Message-----
From: R. Allen Wyke [mailto:emergency-tc@earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 1:08 PM
To: Emergency TC
Subject: [emergency] Fwd: [emergency-comment] CAP Normative Schema is
improperly defined

Forwarding to the TC list for discussion....

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Bob Wyman" <bob@wyman.us>
> Date: March 28, 2004 3:49:42 PM EST
> To: <emergency-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>
> Subject: [emergency-comment] CAP Normative Schema is improperly defined
>
> The normative XML Schema in the CAP specification is improperly
> defined and will either generate validation errors or be rewritten to
> a form which conforms to XML Schema when input to common XML
> Schema processing tools. A major source of the problems is the fact
> that what should be anonymous simple types in the CAP schema are
> encoded with "name" attributes and are thus not anonymous. For
> instance, the CAP schema defines the element msgType as:
>

> <element name = "msgType">
>   <simpleType name = "msgType" >
>     <restriction base = "string">
>     </restriction>
>   </simpleType>
> </element>
>
> A proper definition of the msgType element would *not* include the
> "name" attribute in the "simpleType" element. Thus, the proper
> definition would be:
>

> <element name = "msgType">
>     <simpleType>
>       <restriction base = "string">
>       </restriction>
>     </simpleType>
> </element>
>
>    This improper use of XML Schema occurs at least 10 times in the CAP
> schema (I may have missed a couple...)
>     Given that most well written XML Schema processors will rewrite or
> reject the normative CAP schema, it is hard to understand the
> justification for proposing a standard that contains a flawed
> normative definition. In this case, for interoperability to be had, it
> is necessary to assume that all XML Schema processors will either
> ignore or rewrite the offending elements of the schema in a consistent
> manner. While this appears to be the case so far, it introduces a risk
> of interpretation that is not appropriate for a standard such as CAP.
> For a standard such as CAP, it must be recognized that
> misinterpretations of CAP messages can lead to life-or-death
> consequences. Such a standard should only be accepted if it has
> achieved the highest possible levels of clarity and quality.
>
>         bob wyman

Information contained in this email message is intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the postmaster@nds.com and destroy the original message.