Subject: Re: [emergency] Namespace

I wholeheartedly and 200% support every single thing you point out
here! You have elegantly  described, all in one email, the horse I have
been riding about ambiguity, making sure the spec and XSD agree, etc.
CAP, in and of itself (element A, element B, whatever), is not the
issue (well, it is an topic, but not what I am talking about here). I
think the basic structure is fine - it works, but not my issue. It is
the method in which we actually define CAP and "how" we go about that.
"How" well we craft the document that describes the spec - how well we
write the standard if you will.

Standards and products are different, and your description of the
separation could not be more true. And as for this comment:

> In the rare case that it is necessary to depart from an
> existing standard, the correct way to do this is to either produce a
> "profile" of the inadequate standard or, if the issue is product
> specific, produce a non-normative implementation guide that
> unambiguously explains how the standard is to be interpreted by users
> of the product.

That is exactly what we (Blue292 speaking here) have to do, because
recieving, sending, processing, and displaying the content in an alert
can vary widely across implementations. I HATE that we have to do that,
because it all of a sudden feels proprietary, but there is no way
around it. It is the only way we can have any assurance that our
platform can interoperate with E Team, DMIS, NWS, whoever - we have to
put a stake in the ground and say, "well, we do it this way." And that
level of interoperability is the very basis of why this TC was formed,
and therefore should (maybe an RFC 2119 MUST is the right word here :)
be a part of any work product we produce.

--
R. Allen Wyke
Chief Technology Officer