Subject: Re: [emergency] Groups - ICS-201-draft0.2.xsd uploaded

At 11:37 AM -0800 4/1/04, Art Botterell wrote:
>Like you, Allen, I'm not sure of the technical implications yet, but
>I do like the sound of what you're suggesting.
>
>There's still a fair-sized gap between the general principles
>expressed in NIMS and the fairly mature, but not entirely uniform,
>details of ICS implementation  in the fire service and other
>disciplines... so the approach you propose might have the additional
>benefit of enabling folks to leverage existing practices without
>putting the TC in the middle of subject-matter and policy issues.

Yup, and this is where the train wreck gets started, doing stuff
without a clear mandate or direction.If requested, of course, we
should do it, and include whatever is necessary for making this stuff
work and also truly needs a standard (a data dictionary could be
enough). Otherwise, I vote no.

>I do get the sense that a lot of emergency managers are hungry for
>some sense of how the NIMS principles are to be applied in practice,
>and that DHS is very interested in letting industry provide
>standards-based solutions.
>
>- Art

Ciao,
Rex

>At 2:09 PM -0500 4/1/04, R. Allen Wyke wrote:
>>You know, I have been thinking more and more about this - about how
>>we are approaching it. Being that our TC, nor anyone here, gave
>>birth to ICS nor the 201 form, I am a little concerned that we
>>might be overstepping our bounds to consider creating an XML schema
>>representation of it.
>>
>>Perhaps a more politically correct approach would be to defined an
>>XForms (http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/) model of the form and
>>maybe even suggest that implementations should use the XForms UI
>>vocabulary to "draw" the actual form in a browser, in an app, on a
>>phone, etc.? Something just doesn't feel right about us defining an
>>actual XML schema, BUT using XML for us to describe a form....well,
>>that may result in not only better work on our part, because of the
>>power of XForms, but also in something that gives credit where
>>credit is due (and doesn't claim credit for something that isn't
>>ours).
>>
>>Anyone else have an opinion on this one way or the other? Its
>>possible we can't do what we need in XForms, but it couldn't hurt
>>to check.
>>
>>On Mar 13, 2004, at 9:58 AM, rexb@starbourne.com wrote:
>>
>>>The document ICS-201-draft0.2.xsd has been submitted by Rex Brooks
>>>(rexb@starbourne.com) to the OASIS Emergency Management TC
>>>document repository.
>>>
>>>Document Description:
>>>

>>>Download Document:
>>>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/emergency/download.php/5915/ICS-201-draft0.2.xsd
>>>
>>>View Document Details:
>>>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/emergency/document.php?document_id=5915
>>>

>>>PLEASE NOTE:  If the above links do not work for you, your email application
>>>may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to copy and paste
>>>the entire link address into the address field of your web browser.
>>>

>>>To unsubscribe from this mailing list (and be removed from the
>>>roster of the OASIS TC), go to
>>>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/emergency/members/leave_workgroup.php.
>>>
>>--
>>R. Allen Wyke
>>Chief Technology Officer
>>awyke@blue292.com
>>919.806.2440
>>

>>--
>>R. Allen Wyke
>>Chief Technology Officer
>>awyke@blue292.com
>>919.806.2440

>>roster of the OASIS TC), go to
>>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/emergency/members/leave_workgroup.php.
>

>To unsubscribe from this mailing list (and be removed from the
>roster of the OASIS TC), go to
>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/emergency/members/leave_workgroup.php.

W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com
Email: rexb@starbourne.com