Subject: RE: [emergency] Talking Point re CAP and CEA "Public Alert"

I must admit that I'm a bit confused by these "talking points." I
wonder if someone could explain a bit more about how CAP "would be
fully compatible with the CEA spec as well as the EAS and Weather
Radio specifications that 'Public Alert' extends."

The problem may be in the word "compatible"... As I understand it,
these various systems use non-CAP methods of promulgating warnings.
Thus, it would appear that the word "compatible" is being used in a
way unlike I've heard it used in my three decades in the computer
business... I can see how one might transform CAP messages into alerts
which are compatible with these systems or how one might transform
messages from these systems into CAP, but this appears to me to be a
simply statement that various otherwise *incompatible* formats can be
transformed into each other. Nonetheless, the base formats are
themselves incompatible. Or, am I missing something? Note: There was a
similar message posted on the list a few days ago that said that CAP
was somehow "compatible" with the existing NWS message system. (As is
demonstrated in one of the CAP V1.0 examples, it is certainly clear
that an NWS message, which is not in a form that would traditionally
be called "compatible" with CAP, can be transformed into a
CAP-compliant form.)

Also, as far as I can see, the CEA "'Public Alert' specification
released last year" (which I think was CEA-2009 "Receiver Performance
Specification for NOAA All Hazard Alert"), appears to define "minimum
performance criteria to receive digital alert signals" only from
NOAA/NWR, and "defines consistent alerting signals (i.e. colored
lights, LCD displays, etc.)" Personally, I don't see a very strong
connection to CAP in this description.

I would appreciate it if somone could clarify what it is that I'm
missing here.

		bob wyman