Subject: RE: [emergency] OJP requirement to use the jxdm

Right.  My inquiry was to determine when coming from a requirement
that cites JXDM, what governs CAP and to note the problem of record
of authority citations that are not explicit enough to determine
where conflicts are resolved.  If I were a television station attempting
to procure a CAP compliant application, I might not care about JXDM.
On the other hand, I might if a source of my CAP data is the local
911 dispatch center directly or through an intermediary such as the
local police department.  It is the overlaps in the information
ecosystems that give us fits when procuring or implementing technologies.
When someone uncovers an umbrella requirement such as that Gary
noted, it turns into full blown apoplexy and someone finds me on
the floor a day later.

Grant monies are just one way that federal power is exercised over
local agencies. I won't get into Memoranda of Agreements
that require new subsystems to be implemented. :-)

len

From: R. Allen Wyke [mailto:emergency-tc@earthlink.net]

On Jul 27, 2004, at 11:09 AM, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> So:
>
> Grant money requires JXDM compliance and CAP is not JXDM
> so compliance with JXDM is not required when implementing CAP?

Keep in mind that not all implementors implement CAP to try and get
grant money - that is not the goal or objective of all implementations,
nor the driver. In fact, I can definitively say that at least part of
the motivation of why the TC was actually started and Chartered, since
I wrote it, was due to the pressure to try and reduce the development
time to interoperate with other systems and the costs associated with
that - to positively impact the bottom-line of a software vendor in
this space, while at the same time improving the solutions available
that could help save lives and assets. Not to try and land grant money.

I realize that this was/is not the incentive for everyone and it may
even currently be a minority in the membership today, but that view is
in fact represented in the very document that started our existence and
at least some % of the group today.