Subject: RE: Issues #5 and 15

Title: Message
Regarding number #15 - the use of a password within CAP.

A password is not usually part of a messages content value.  I am also not sure of its value in any case. I know that our implementation puts password info outside CAP.  Are any of the current applications using it?  I would suggest polling known users in some way.  If no one is using the intenal password element, lets just drop it, saying that passwords are more properly part of the interfaces for sharing CAP than they are CAP itself.  If someone is actually using it, lets see how they are doing so before changing the spec.

Regarding #5 - lack of authentication

Well - duh!  Authentication is properly decoupled from content.  It might be warrented to suggest an authentication standard for CAP users, but even that might vary from networks to network.  Authentication is a legitimate issue for the TC, but I would argue that it is an infrastructure issue and not a CAP issues at all!

R/S

Gary A. Ham

Senior Research Scientist

Battelle Memorial Institute

540-288-5611 (office)

703-869-6241 (cell)

"You would be surprised what you can accomplish when you do not care who gets the credit." - Harry S. Truman