Subject: RE: Notes from todays (2/1/05) GIS SC Conference Carl

In attendance:  Carl Reed, Dave Danko, Rex Brooks, Tom Merkle.

Had a good meeting.

1. Discussed 1.1. The SC is in agreement that we go ahead with 1.1.
2. Discussed 2.0 and Carl's first cut at suggested changes/enhancements. The GIS SC was unanimous on the following recommendations:
  • Leave WGS 84 as mandatory in 2.0. This allows total backwards compatibility
  • In 2.0, have an informational note as to why WGS is the mandatory datum/CRS
  • In 2.0, have an information note on why there is a need for the ability to define and communicate CRS information other than WGS. This would be an optional element.
  • Allow optional elements for both CRS and GML based geometry for flexibility and greater ease in meeting local EM requirements.
  • Maintain simplicity as well
3. Agreed that GIS SC should contact an internationally recognized expert on the legal and political implications of WGS and other CRS best practices. Ask them to review our go-forward suggestions to make sure we are best aligned with international best practices. This would not be a geodesy "geek".
4. Discussed whether CAP should be moved to ISO as a New Work Item. Belief that the answer is yes but that we should wait for 2.0.

Respectfully submitted

Carl Reed, PhD
CTO and Executive Director Specification Program
OGC

The OGC: Helping the World to Communicate Geographically

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender  immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.