Subject: Re: [emergency] Fwd: Messaging Standards Meeting Report

Dear Art,

Agreed.  In no way has our TC changed our standardization process and I thought I made that clear in the meeting.  We have just agreed to accept a set of requirements from an outside source, i.e., the DM program via the EIC.  This is not the only work of the TC but one agreed to task.

Also agreed, the DM nor the EIC created CAP.  CAP was generated in response to a need to standardize a method for issuing alert and warning information with roots back to the 2000 publication you cite.  We have not taken on the task of all data sharing among even the emergency management community much less, the nation.  However, let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.  CAP 1.0 is a viable standard for the purpose it was developed as evidenced by the many groups worldwide that are utilizing it for the purpose it was intended.  To the extend the EM-TC can support the DM program (and the widespread emergency management community) with further standardization efforts, I believe it is within our charter.

This report is the reason I only provided a brief overview of the meeting during our conference call and preferred to send the full summary to the list.  It is interesting what actually gets documented.  I don't believe it was a "a self-serving disregard for accuracy" but an honest attempt to capture the large number of issues that came out of two long days of meetings with people that do not normally share domains.  There was not a draft generated for review by the participants.  That may be a good suggestion for the future meetings.

Thank you for your comments.
Elysa