Subject: Isssues needed befor updating Draft EDXL schema

Four issues make bme reluctant to spend much time building the next drat
of the formal schema. I can sart the process when 1 and 2 are agreed to.
I will not be able to finish without 3 and 4.

1. Schema format

Same as CAP 1.1?
Same as GJXDM?
Other?

Cap 1.1 has changed simple types back to anonomous types. GJXDM names
all types, but defines the types as separate elements (of simple type if
appropriate).  These elements are separately structured as independent
elements at the bottom of the schema.
Disadvantage to GJXMD representation - More work, more lines of
information, and somewhat confusing for the reader.
Advantage - Better encapsulation.  Makes definition of enumerated types
more clear and keeps them separate from the containing schema.
Maintenance of change would be easier. Consistency with other
representations????

2. Area Block
Based on CAP 1.1 (current structure)?
Based on GJXDM?
Based on another representation?

The key here is that we pick ONE representation.  It will be easier for
systems to translate to and from the one interface we choose from their
internal choice, than to have to build an adapter to handle multiple
possibilities.  I do not care particularly what is chosen (although the
GJXDM representation is, in my mind, a good compromise).  I would
however, have a problem with a multiple choice solution.

3. Enumerated Value construct structure

Human readable alpha Code?
Full lenth alpha text?

4.
Agreement on the content of the various enumeration lists.

Gary A. Ham
Senior Research Scientist
Battelle Memorial Institute
540-288-5611 (office)
703-869-6241 (cell)
"You would be surprised what you can accomplish when you do not care who
gets the credit." - Harry S. Truman