Subject: Re: [emergency] Groups - EDIT of emergency-CAPv-1.1

At 2:31 PM -0800 3/7/05, Kon Wilms wrote:
>I've asked a number of times in this thread for clarification as to why
>such a method would not be a good idea - all I've received has been what
>seems like an unwillingness to listen.

Please don't confuse not agreeing with not listening.  The TC isn't
obliged to accept a change just because someone suggests it.  If you
want a change, it's up to you to persuade the TC that it's a good
idea.

>However, with a lookup table in place people like Dave would be able to
>make use of their CBRN category immediately without being out of spec.

We aren't trying to make it easy to add new categories... in fact,
we're trying to make it hard.  Our goal is interoperability, which
wouldn't be served by letting some systems adopt random categories
that others won't understand.

CAP isn't meant to be everything to everyone... it's meant to be the
SAME thing to everyone.

>If Dave feels he needs to interoperate, he submits his field for inclusion
>in the next revision of the spec.

If Dave DIDN'T feel he needed to interoperate he could just make up
his own XML format and not bother constraining himself to the CAP
spec.  But the last thing we'd want would be messages floating around
that claimed to be CAP, but actually were non-interoperable variants.

- Art