Subject: EIC Meeting

OASIS EM-TC Inputs to the EIC meeting 3/16/05

1.  There have been 6 meetings of the TC held since my last report.  This
number does not include the meeting count of the subcommittees for GIS,
Infrastructure and Message and Notification.

2.  Several people have joined the TC but are not considered a voting
member if they don't attend 2 out of every 3 meetings.  So this is a
rolling number.  There are 64 members/observers of which 14 have voting
authority today.

3.  CAP 1.1 was accepted by the TC from the Message and Notification SC for
acceptance.  Several issues that had been submitted by Dr. Iannella of
Australia needed to be addressed as well as several editorial and clean up
prior to a formal vote of the TC.  There were 5 comments and it took
several meetings to address them.  One comment was respectfully declined,
one was deferred to 2.0 and the other three resulted in valuable changes to
the spec.  One of these was for the the unique identifier of the sender of
a CAP message was explicitly defined.  This will be helpful in the top
level EDXL (core) distribution element, one was a rather minor change and
the other actually addressed two concerns that will support the DoD
SensorNET activities.

4.  There are currently 2 laboratories, Sandia and Oakridge that are
utilizing CAP in their DoD activities within their national framework.  The
Chair of the EM-TC has been invited to represent OASIS and CAP at a meeting
in Ft. Bragg in support of CAP for use in SensorNET activities at Oak
Ridge.  A Sandia representative is already active developing CAP
applications and participates regularly in the TC.

5.  EDXL Distribution Element - the details of the enumerated types are
being worked.  It has been decided that the distribution element should
have two parts, the top level that will contain, senderID, date/time,
geocode.  Still some discussion about whether geocode includes the specific
area block.  The other part of the distribution element will be the EM
domain specific elements.  We have discussed that different levels of
government will need to be identified with different routing.   There are
ongoing discussions about the schema structure, area block structure and
the enumerated value construct structure.  There will be a meeting of the
EDXL Working Group at 9:30 EST 3/17/05.

6.  FOSE - OASIS will have an interop demo at FOSE April 5-7.  CAP 1.0 will
be used.  Participants include Anteon, CapWIN, E-Team, IEM, Warning Systems
and Julia Andrews (Long Branch is not a corporate member, so only the
individual name can be used.  However, this company develops products for
the US Postal Community).  There will be several invited guests to the
demonstrations.

7.  There will be an OASIS Symposium in New Orleans April 24-29.  The EM-TC
will have two full days of face to face meetings to address specific
issues.  I am hopeful that this will be a time that we can hammer out key
issues with regard to EDXL.  We will have a voting quorum and should be
able to get a good bit of work done.  With CAP 1.1 behind us at that point,
we should be able to concentrate on EDXL.

Respectfully submitted,
Elysa Jones, Chair
OASIS EM-TC
Engineering Program Manager