Subject: RE: [emergency] EDXL and routing over non-SOAP networks

Elysa Jones wrote:
> I was looking to Bob Wyman to chime in on this as he seems to have a good
> bit of experience in the area but missed him on the call too.
	Please accept my apologies for missing the call. I had to make an
unexpected trip and then got confused about the time. I thought it was at
9:00am EST but nobody else was on the line when I called in... I must have
had the wrong time.

	Personally, I think it is quite important that EDXL *not* be a SOAP
only protocol. In any case, I'm unaware of anything that EDXL requires that
would argue for any constraints other then laziness that would limit its
utility to non-SOAP systems. One thing that is important to recognize is
that if you did limit EDXL to SOAP you would be making it very difficult to
deliver EDXL messages as "alerts" since SOAP, which usually runs in a
stateless push mode, can't penetrate most firewalls. Thus, a SOAP only EDXL
would pretty much limit the utility to EDXL to server-to-server
communications. You wouldn't be able to deliver EDXL packets to desktops...
If want to deliver to desktops, you either have to assume proxy/forwarding
systems (like SMTP servers) or continuous connections created from within
the firewall to external systems (e.g. something like Jabber/XMPP or BEEP).
	What we should be doing is defining EDXL as a general system and
then specifying the mappings to the various delivery mechanisms. Thus, there
should be a core EDXL specification and addendums that show how to use it
over SOAP, SMTP, Jabber/XMPP, BEEP, carrier-pigeon, etc.

	bob wyman