Subject: RE: [emergency] EDXL - political subdivisions

I like it.

Patti

-----Original Message-----
From: Art Botterell
To: emergency@lists.oasis-open.org
Sent: 5/2/2005 5:23 PM

Cool.  So we could make it:

<country> -  The two-character ISO 3166 alpha-2
Country Code for the country concerned.

<subdivision> - The ISO 3166-2 designator for the
administrative subdivision concerned.  The first
two characters, before the hyphen, is the ISO
3166 alpha-2 Country Code for the country within
which the designated subdivision is located.  The
following one-to-three characters following the
hyphen designate the particular subdivision.
E.g.:

	US-TX for the U.S. state of Texas
	DK-025   for the Danish county Roskilde
	MG-T   for the Antananarivo province in Madagascar

<location> - The UN/LOCODE designator for the
location concerned.  The two first digits are the
ISO 3166 alpha-2 Country Code for the country in
which the place is located.  The following three
characters are the UN/LOCODE designator for the
particular location within that country.  No
spaces or punctuation are used within this
designator.  E.g.:

	USFFB - Fairfield, Alabama, USA
	USSUU - Fairfield, California, USA
	GBFFD - Falfield, South Gloucestershire, Great Britain

And there'd be no ambiguity no matter how they're mixed.

(We'd need to add the normative reference for ISO
3166-1, ISO 3166-2 and UN/LOCODE.)

- Art

At 3:53 PM -0400 5/2/05, Tom Merkle wrote:
> [...]
>suggested change for using  <primaryDivision>
>and <secondaryDivision> are consistent with
>international standards. I support your
>suggestion as the term <jurisdiction> will
>produce pushback from the DOJ community.
>
>The combination of ISO 3166-1, -2, and UN/LOCODE
>appear to mitigate the "subdivison" contention
>issue:
>
>http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/04background-on-iso-
3166/iso3166-2.html
>Sample entry from ISO 3166-2
>Here you see the entry for Canada from ISO
>3166-2. The abbreviations used in the headers of
>the entries are explained in an annex to ISO
>3166-2.
>
>CA   CANADA
>10 provinces     	province (fr)
>3 territories       	territoire (fr)
>List source:   Canadian General Standards Board
>(CGSB), 1997-03-18; IGN 1989; Canadian Postal
>Guide; E-mail on Nunavut from Standards Council
>of Canada (SCC), 1999-09-02; update 2001; update
>2002
>Code source:   Canadian Postal Guide
>
>Provinces:
>   	(en) 				(fr)
>CA-AB  Alberta
>CA-BC  British Columbia 		Colombie-Britannique
>CA-MB  Manitoba
>CA-NB  New Brunswick 			Nouveau-Brunswick
>CA-NL  Newfoundland and Labrador 	Terre-Neuve-et-Labrador
>CA-NS  Nova Scotia 			Nouvelle-Écosse
>CA-ON  Ontario
>CA-PE  Prince Edward Island 		Île-du-Prince-Édouard
>CA-QC  Quebec 				Québec
>CA-SK  Saskatchewan
>
>Territories:
>CA-NT  Northwest Territories 	Territoires du Nord-Ouest
>CA-NU  Nunavut
>CA-YT  Yukon Territory 		Territoire du Yukon
>
>Relationship with other coding systems
>The subdivision standard provides an important
>link between ISO 3166-1 and UN/LOCODE, the
>United Nations Code for Ports and other
>Locations, developed and maintained by the
>United Nations Economic Commission for Europe
>(UN/ECE).
>
>Whereas ISO 3166-1 codes country names,
>UN/LOCODE provides code elements for more than
>32 000 names of ports, airports, rail and road
>terminals, postal exchange offices, border
>crossing points and other locations used in
>trade and transport. All code elements in
>UN/LOCODE start with the ISO 3166-1 alpha-2
>country code element for the country in which
>the place concerned is located. In some
>countries there are several places with the same
>name. In such cases the relevant ISO 3166-2
>subdivision code is essential to distinguish
>between them.
>
>All three code systems taken together enable
>users to consistently code geographical
>information all the way down from the country
>level, over the subdivision level to the level
>of single locations used in trade and transport
>(see the short list below).
>
>ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country code:  DE  (Germany)
>
>ISO 3166-2 subdivision code:  DE-BW  (Federal state of
Baden-Württemberg)