Subject: Re: [emergency] Groups - Draft Meeting Notes 5-31-05.doc uploaded

On 2 Jun 2005, at 23:12, Elysa Jones wrote:

> Just for the sake of not confusing folks on the list - the attached
> model does not reflect what the TC has agreed to.  What has been
> agreed to is on the site under docs/specifications EDXL DE DOM
> 5/31/05.  I am also attaching it here for reference to be sure all
> have access to the current agreed to DOM.

I did use the "5/31/05" Data Model to create the Information Model.

> Your model leaves out several elements of Distribution that we worked
> through as well as changes the relationship between the
> messageElement/content and Distribution/messageElement.  These changes
> are not germane to the current issue of targetArea and keyword, so
> lets be sure to focus on these for the moment.

I thought I have captured all the elements from the DOM in the IM -
which ones are missing?

I can see where the Distribution/messageElement relationship is
different - i assume this is because
the Message is optional - should be "0..*" on the relationship.

Also, the only difference in the messageElement/content relationship is
the "OR" in the DOM
and not in the IM (This is a UML issue - may have to use a dependency
class- anyone know how to
express OR in UML?)

> The biggest problem I see with the alternate targeting blocks for
> non-geo use is complexity of processing to get to these at a lower
> level.  Seems to me, it would be more efficient for code at the
> Distribution level to parse a keyword list rather than go to other
> level(s) to get basic routing target information.  Just my 2 cents -
> others please chime in.

I don't see that as an issue at all - at the *modelling* level.

At the XML level - is the concern that the following:

<distribution>
  <targets>
   <keyword>...
  </targets>
</distribution>

Is more complex than:

<distribution>
    <keyword>...
</distribution>

Cheers...

Dr Renato Iannella
Project Leader, NICTA, Brisbane, QLD, AUSTRALIA
P: +61 7 3000 0484 F: +61 7 3000 0480 M: +61 4 1313 2206
E: renato@nicta.com.au W: http://nicta.com.au

This email and any attachments may be confidential. They may contain legally
privileged information or copyright material. You should not read, copy,
use or disclose them without authorisation. If you are not an intended
recipient, please contact us at once by return email and then delete both
messages. We do not accept liability in connection with computer virus,
data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised
amendment. This notice should not be removed.