Subject: RE: [emergency] Re: Circle and Polygon

Len -

The OGC has a very well defined intellectual property policy designed to
insure that all of our specifications are freely available, patent free,
and royalty free. We do patent calls, we have members sign various forms,
and so on and so forth. The sentence you reference is provided in our
documents because we do not know what exists in the big wide world outside
the membership. However, that said, we have never had a patent issue or
IPR issue (except once) that we have not been able to resolve by
referencing valid and pertinent prior art. The one instance was in Japan
for WMS version 1.1. In no case anywhere in the world has anyone claimed
any issues WRT IPR/patents and GML. This may be perhaps that much of GML
is grounded in various ISO standards.
In terms of using OGC spec content in OASIS documents, there is not an
issue. Simple need to reference copyright in the OASIS document.
Regards

Carl