Subject: Re: [emergency] Re: Circle and Polygon

Carl, if you don't mind I'd like to keep this on the issue list for
the time being... as you point out, it has a political aspect, so I'm
thinking it'll be especially important that we've made sure
everyone's had a chance to weigh it carefully and that we've come
away with a quorum decision.

Thanks!

- Art

On Jun 15, 2005, at 6/15/05 11:48 AM, Carl Reed wrote:

> Well stated.
>
> Thanks Art -
>
> I stand corrected. I also spoke with another implementor of CAP on the
> same issue of the CRS and withdraw any suggestions of not having
> WGS as
> mandatory.
> Cheers
>
> Carl
>

>> Carl -
>>
>> If the primary purpose of the circles and polygons in CAP was to
>> provide data for GIS display I'd have an easier time with your
>> suggestion.  But that's not really the case.
>>
>> The primary purpose of the geospatial elements in CAP is to enable
>> location-aware receivers to identify those messages that are relevant
>> at their locations or at other locations of interest... or, depending
>> on network architecture, to enable routing mechanisms to make those
>> determinations on the end-receivers' behalf.  So we're talking about
>> devices that don't need to, and in many cases can't, support
>> conversions among multiple reference systems.
>>
>> As you point out, the geospatial systems that need transformations
>> from WGS-84 to other CRSs are generally able to do them themselves,
>> as well as being able to take advantage of even more detailed GML
>> data that might be included as a resource.  But there's a larger
>> universe of devices out there, at both the input and output ends and
>> even in the middle, for which cost, weight, power, traffic volume and
>> other constraints suggest a simpler approach.
>>
>> So... again, speaking as just one of the TC membership... I hesitate
>> to complicate the CAP format, which has been used successfully even
>> in Australia, unless we're shown an absolute technical need to
>> do   so.
>>  Right now the issue seems to be one of local preferences, and
>> we're
>> never going to be able to please everyone.
>>
>> - Art
>>

>> On Jun 15, 2005, at 6/15/05 11:04 AM, Carl Reed wrote:
>>

>>> Art -
>>>
>>> Thanks for the quick response.
>>>
>>> Just to clarify so that there is no misunderstanding:
>>>
>>> 1. I agree that specifying WGS 84 as the default CRS and best
>>> practice is
>>> a good thing. There is no disagreement here.2. The current CAP 1.0
>>> spec references the EPSG definition of WGS 84. This
>>> is a good thing.3. The current approach works within the contextual
>>> framework of those who
>>> have implemented CAP to date. Fine
>>> That said, please consider:
>>>
>>> 4. I am not asking to change this position.
>>> 5. I am asking for the ability to specify another CRS.
>>> 6. This does not add complexity - nor does it break
>>> interoperability.