Subject: RE: [emergency] Re: Circle and Polygon

If the reference system is considered a identified form of measurement or a distinct qualifier it should be an attribute.  It is metadata describing a specific quality or context of the element. In order to do this you must make a reference system element its own separate base type.  It can not belong in the realm of type text or type code.  The reason is metadata attributes should be connected to the type and not just to an element name (reuse). It is not good practice to have single elements with their on special metadata attributes.

Winfield J. Wagner
Director of Integrated Justice Information Systems
11995 El Camino Real
Suite 302
San Diego, CA  92130
http://www.crossflo.com
Office Phone: 858.724.2216 Ext. 237
Fax:              858.724.7224
Cellular:        858.525.1447

From: Aymond, Patti [mailto:Patti.Aymond@ieminc.com]
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2005 8:06 AM
To: 'Art Botterell'; Emergency_Mgt_TC TC

If we place the reference system in the element name, we will be forced to
expand the specification to include elements for all of the possible
reference systems.

I personally prefer using an attribute, but I would be o.k. with an element
that indicates the spatial reference system as a sub-element of <polygon>
and <circle>.

Patti

Patti Iles Aymond, PhD
Senior Scientist