Subject: Re: [emergency] URN namespace for EDXL

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Carl Reed wrote:

> Renato -
>
> Yes, there is an Internet Standard (IETF) for the Oasis URN. FYI, the OGC
> is also working the IETF process for approval of an official OGC URN.
> Cheers

Also, Mary McRae (mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org) is working with the OASIS
TAB in the creation of a new document for naming rules, in connection with
other revisions to artifacts/namespaces etc.  One draft of the new
guidelines doc calls for revision of RFC 3121 ( K. Best, N. Walsh. Request
For Comments 3121, A URN Namespace for OASIS, 165 June 2001)

(draft, unofficial):

"OASIS SHOULD revise RFC 3121 and RFC 3122 to conform
to these guidelines, or withdraw the RFCs if OASIS
can or will not support the commitments made in those
RFCs."

Therefore, I recommend consulting with Mary (or Jamie Clark) to
find out what's currently being recommended as (likely to be)
harmonious with the object/artifact/identifier rules/guidelines
document.

Robin Cover