Subject: RE: [emergency] EDXL DE - XML Schema Issue

I am concerned that what we have put together is not yet ready, and that
we are taxing those that have volunteered to put the final touches on
our work too heavily.  Do we want to create a situation, like we did
with CAP 1.0, where something important gets dropped?  Personally, I
would rather wait one more month than get it wrong in some minor, but
potentially embarrassing, way.  Right now, I intend to vote for the
committee draft, but not for the release for vote.  My mind could be
changed if, in fact, a final product is ready and usable as an example
before the voting deadline.  I am afraid, however, that we do not have
time to do the quality control review needed to get it all right before
we put or product out for public inspection.

Respectfully,

Gary A. Ham
Senior Research Scientist
Battelle Memorial Institute
540-288-5611 (office)
703-869-6241 (cell)
"You would be surprised what you can accomplish when you do not care who
gets the credit." - Harry S. Truman

-----Original Message-----
From: Renato Iannella [mailto:renato@nicta.com.au]
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 11:02 PM
To: Emergency_Mgt_TC TC
Subject: [emergency] EDXL DE - XML Schema Issue

There are a few major/minor issues with the XML Schema used in EDXL DE
CD 1.0 (19 Aug 2005).

Major:
1 - It does not support ANY reusability as all the elements and
datatypes are locally defined.
       (Common datatypes should be globally defined and reused, for
example for valueListURN.)

2 - It uses full element names (including the angle brackets) in the
Annotation elements which
       renders it as an *invalid* schema (tested with XML Spy and
Oxygen).

3 - It does not define attributes that are mandatory (eg for circle and
polygon).

4 - Does not support a single top level parent element which means that
having a valid EDXLdistribution
       is not possible.

5 - valueListURN and value elements can occur in semantically incorrect
sequences.

Minor:
1 - It references Schemas to import that are not required.

2 - It is extremely verbose as it repeats all the documentation from
       the specification in the annotation elements (double maintenance
effort required)
       and difficult to read.

3 - Should define the targetNamespace as the default namespace.

I am happy to propose an updated XML Schema that addresses the above is
the TC feels this is appropriate.

Cheers...  Renato Iannella
National ICT Australia (NICTA)

This email and any attachments may be confidential. They may contain
legally privileged information or copyright material. You should not
read, copy, use or disclose them without authorisation. If you are not
an intended recipient, please contact us at once by return email and
then delete both messages. We do not accept liability in connection with
computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised
access or unauthorised amendment. This notice should not be removed.