Subject: RE: [emergency] RE: Question on EDXL-DE schema

All

Here are the definitions for the valid values of the namespace attribute:

##any – This is the default setting for the namespace attribute which implies that elements from any namespace are allowed to exist in the placeholder specified by the ‘any’ element.

##other – Specifying this value for the namespace attribute allows elements from any namespace except the namespace of the parent element (i.e., not the ‘targetNamespace’ of the parent).

##local – The substituted elements must come from no namespace.

##targetNamespace – Only elements from the namespace of the parent element can be contained.

Here are the definitions for the valid values of the ‘processContents’ attribute:

Strict – This is the default value in the absence of any ‘processContents’ attribute.  The XML processor must have access to the schema for the namespaces of the substituted elements and fully validate those elements against that schema.

Lax – This is similar to strict, with the exception that if no schema can be located for substituted elements, then the XML parser simply checks for well-formed XML.

Skip – This is the least taxing validation method, which instructs the XML processor not to validate any elements from the specified namespaces.

The ##other is an acceptable replacement for the ##any value located in the any element following the xsd:choice element.  The intent of this element in the EDXL-DE schema is to provide a mechanism for signing our contentObjects.  The signing process (refer to http://www.w3.org/TR/xmldsig-core/) uses a different namespace than EDXL-DE.

Additionally, the use of the xsd:any element allows us to attach location information to sensor contentObjects, which we are currently testing.  For EDXL-SS (Sensor System, which is similar to EDXL-RM), we will need to make the location information part of the EDXL-DE header to allow for the distribution of the EDXL messages to the appropriate recipient(s).  We may have to explore making this a different namespace or adding additional specific contentObjects elements in EDXL-DE 1.1 for message delivery to subscribers in the proper area of their responsibility.

David E. Ellis

Information Management Architect

(505) 844-6697