Subject: [emergency] Re: [emergency-comment] Public Comment

I wanted to put my $.02 U.S. into this discussion for a number of
reasons, but mainly to make the one point I am most interested in wrt
CRS and GIS systems-thinking, as I prefer to think about it. That
point is that we need liaison efforts between standards organizations
to provide aids and guidance within a more widespread push for
adoption of these standards.

This is more difficult and less rewarding than working on standards
specificiations themselves, and that is difficult enough for anyone!
I speak from experience. Whoever put it into my head that I should
combine the overriding importance of Emergency Management with GIS
and Health Informatics (HI) should be taken out behind the woodshed
and seriously violated. ;-)

However, both GIS and HI share problems in terms of having standards
that are overlapping, often inconsistent, contain some standards with
terminology conflicts and are simply difficult to harmonize or select
amongst for a given subdomain application, like medical billing, for
instance, or manual confirmation of location parameters for automatic
remote sensors. I am personally involved in developing
ontologically-based semantic interoperability tools and practices
(mainly practices) for accomplishing this in both domains.

I agree with Carl that a more flexible, open approach is needed, and
since I am co chair of the SC in the EM TC that will grapple with
including GML in CAP 2.0 and in EDXL"s various component
specifications, I think that what we really need is a way to make
choosing the correct standard or mixing and matching standards
easier. Then, eventually the marketplace will select in practice what
we can't predict while building standards using other standards.

I support adopting GML period, but common sense tells me that we are
going to continue having a tough sell to governmental agencies,
departments, ministries, etc., which have fairly extensive,
entrenched vested interests in one or another standard, such as the
US Dept of Transportation which has adopted IEEE 1512.

IEEE 1512 is a fine standard, except that it doesn't easily fit into
an XML world of web services information delivery. A vague
recommendation for translating the standard into XML Schema in a
roll-your-own approach for decision support information aggregation
services is a prescription for a separate disaster from whatever
incident requires a well-informed first response and where DoT
information is critical. Unfortunately, the chances are zero of DoT
providing its own translation standard and I haven't heard that IEEE
is even approachable about providing such a standard translation.
(I'd like to be wrong about that, and I admit I am not a member,
can't afford it in the foreseeable future within my own priorities
and that is the only sure way to be heard on the matter. However,
like many people, paying for the privilege of opposing set policies
in a venerable (ie change-resistant) organization just isn't very
appealing.

The point is that even when or if such a reliable translation
standard comes about, publicizing it and making it available easily
and quickly is an oxymoron, given that IEEE operates on a fee-based
model that just adds another nickel to the nickel and dime barrier to
adoption of standards. I think it is safe to say the Section 508 and
other such considerations for underserved population segments,
specifically poor people, simply won't happen, so we have a lot of
work to do to make the standards we have and those we are building
work out there where the rubber meets the road.

Just FYI, I am building a set of registries to accomplish some of
this as a prototype in a Semantic Interoperability Architecture Pilot
sponsored by the US federal Semantic Interoperability Community of
Practice chartered by the CIO Council Architecture and Infrastructure
Committee. So, I am not solely a problem describer.