Subject: Technically: "optional" isn't the issue

On Jun 2, 2006, at 6/2/06 2:38 PM, Rex Brooks wrote:
> I don't think it serves our purposes to dig our heels in on what
> is, after all, an optional feature at this point.

'Fraid you've missed the point, Rex.  The issue here isn't whether
<instruction> is optional, but whether an implementer is allowed to
remap the semantics of the <instruction> field into another
element... in this case, <description>.

The CAP spec says explicitly that the Data Dictionary (indeed, the
whole Alert Message Structure section) is normative.  Certain
elements may be optional in cardinality, but that doesn't mean their
semantics can be redefined at the implementer's whim.

- Art