Subject: RE: [emergency] Draft TC Letter on HazCollect

I agree with Art's sentiments here.  I don't think we should refer to
compliance / non-compliance, or to conformance / non-conformance.  If it is
agreed that a letter be sent by the TC, we should simply state our concerns
regarding the specific issue, stop there, and address this issue in the next
release of the standard (which we could also add).  Otherwise I believe we
step beyond the scope of what a standards body should be doing.

Respectfully,

Tim Grapes
Evolution Technologies, Inc.
Disaster Management egov Initiative
Science and Technology Directorate/OIC
Department of Homeland Security
Office:  (703) 654-6075
Mobile:  (703) 304-4829
tgrapes@evotecinc.com
tim.grapes@associates.dhs.gov

-----Original Message-----
From: Art Botterell [mailto:acb@incident.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 9:37 PM
To: Emergency_Mgt_TC TC

On Jun 13, 2006, at 6/13/06 5:33 PM, Carl Reed OGC Account wrote:
> I am not trying to be overly sticky on the semantics, but if I were
> on the NOAA side, I would ask the question "and what exactly do you
> mean by compliance?"

In reality, however, nobody at NOAA has questioned that.  Instead,
they've asked, "non-compliant in what regard?" and we've explained
the problem with their modification of the definition of
<description>, and they've agreed it needs to be fixed.  The only
issue has been whether the fix could be deferred.

I'm thinking we might be wise to focus on the question actually on
the table right now and defer conjecture till later.  The present
issue is a very simple and pragmatic one and I think all that's
required is a bit of reinforcement of what's already been said.

- Art